Airport Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Les Kern, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I am planning on upgrading about 40 Airports in my high school to 54M Airport Extremes. At around 170 a pop, and seeing LinkSys and D-Link going for less than half that, what are your thoughts on the "3rd-party" solution? I know about web versus client configuring, but does anyone have first-hand knowledge of a TRUE success story using the other models? I like saving taxpayer money, but first and foremost it HAS to work. (I will buy one and test it first, of course)
    The Airports I have (mostly Snow and a few Graphites) have done an excellent job. Only one has failed in 2 years, and one Extreme started generating excessive noise, so I tossed it.
    The network must handle BOTH b and g. I've looked at reviews, but haven't been satisfied.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. bsichran macrumors newbie

Stick with Airport

Hi Les,

Avoid the D-link DWL-122. It is not fully compatible with Macs. It causes the machine to freeze up and crash, or just stops working altogether when the system prefs say it isworking. The tech support for Mac OS is awful.

The Airport cards are more expensive, but at least they are relatively trouble free.

3. brhmac macrumors regular