AirPort and IP addresses

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shakespeare, May 18, 2003.

1. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Is it possible to connect, via the Internet, to a computer on my AirPort network? I'd like people to be able to connect to one of my computers (like via Snapperhead and iTunes), but since I'm on a network, I can't figure out what address to give them. Can someone help me?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That depends on how you have your access point set up. If you are forwarding IP addresses, then you can connect, no problem. If the base station assigns IPs then it'll be trickier.

[edit: It's also important to know if you have a router/switch somewhere in there. If so, you'll need to to some port forwarding.]

3. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not really sure how I have the BS set up. There's no router or switch, however. How do I set it up to forward IP addresses?

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Open the Airport Admin Utility and click the "Show all settings" button. Click the tab at the top called "Port Mapping".

Click the "Add..." button and enter the settings for the public port (i.e., 80 for Web, 3689 for iTunes) and the private IP address (your computer) and private port (use the same port as in the public setting).

That should be it.