Airport and Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nauthez, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Nauthez macrumors newbie

Nauthez

Alright, I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem. I got my new MacBook, but every time I enable wireless and connect to my network, it stops working. The entire network crashes, and I have to restart the router. I contacted Linksys and they sent me a new router, but I still get the same error. The router I have it WRT54GS v6. It's brand new and I just got it today.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Bunch of questions.
    Are you using any security (WEP, WPA, WPA2,etc)?
    Have you tried different channels?
    Have you verified wired connections also fail during "crash?"
    Have you tried other wireless clients?

3. Nauthez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nauthez

Are you using any security (WEP, WPA, WPA2,etc)? Using WAP2
    Have you tried different channels? Tried all the channels
    Have you verified wired connections also fail during "crash?" Wired and wireless clients fail.
    Have you tried other wireless clients? No

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Try without any security to see if problem persists
    Definitely indicative of a router issue. If it persists, you may want to look for alternatives.

*Conspiracy theorists are going to claim Cisco sabotaged their routers to be incompatible with Apple computers because of the iPhone trademark dispute.*:eek:

5. Nauthez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nauthez

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Well, I have had no issues with my linksys WRT54GP (the vonage version) except it takes a dump when too many people, like my neighbors, connect. I simply use WEP to keep them out. In fact, I have always used linksys for the past 5 years or so.

If budget isn't much of a concern, check out Apple's offerings. The new Aiport Extreme is quite the device, it only lacks gigabit and costs a pretty penny - but you do get a print server and NAS capabilities out of the deal.

7. Nauthez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nauthez

know any good belkin ones? I have the WRT54GS v6 and it just doesn't work. I had another laptop around 1 year ago and it worked fine in the network (windowz)

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I have no experience with Belkin, so I have no opinion. As for your WRT, does the v6 allow you to flash it with something like OpenWRT or other alternatives?

9. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Had this problem with MB, MB C2D, & MBP C2D. Returned the exact same Linksys router & version model.

Went with Buffalo because it supports WDS & is Apple Airport Express friendly and connection issues went away.

Got this model for my Daughter who has a the original Mac Book:
    Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 - http://www.buffalotech.com/products...uter-and-access-point-with-high-gain-antenna/

Got this model for myself for the Draft "n":
    Buffalo WZR- G300N - http://www.buffalotech.com/products...-n-nfiniti-broadband-router-and-access-point/

Ordered this model and will be here Monday, all ports are Gigabit:
    WZR-AG300NH - http://www.buffalotech.com/products...finiti-dual-band-gigabit-router-access-point/

Buffalo Tech support is US based and Mac friendly;)

10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

The current models of the WRT54G/GS are not able to be "flashed". I have been a long time user of sveasoft's firmware. Sveasoft uses & recommends the Buffalo routers.

11. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

I have a Belkin 54G wirless router. I got it at walmart for about $35, just to tide me over until I purchased a good N router. Wasnt expecting much for $35 bucks just wanted to get a router to utilize my MBP wireless. I must say its the most impressive $35 dollar router I have ever had, setup in 10 minutes with wpa2. I have been running it for over a month since purchase, no issues what so ever, great signal all through my house. I dont think I will be purchasing another router until this one craps out, it has exceeded all of my expectations.

Heres a link if you want to check it out.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470291

It may not have all the functions of an AEBS but its a heck of alot cheaper.

12. whaleboy macrumors member

I had the exact same problem with that router, only two months old. It was an intermittent problem though... sometimes it wouldn't work at all, sometimes it went a day or two without problems. I went out and got a D-Link router last week and all has been fine since.

-David

13. bleachthru macrumors member

bleachthru

I have had nothing but problems with lynksys routers. Try a D-link, they are around the same price and seem to work decently.

14. Nauthez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nauthez

I have a friend who has dlink and he says it sucks...

Anyone who has a d-link: any good models?

15. whaleboy macrumors member

There are plenty of people running LinkSys routers without issue (Mine was fine until the Mac came into the equation), but the D-Link works great in my mixed platform network (PC, MacBook Pro, Xbox360, and Wii). Likewise, I'm sure others will say they've had problems with D-links... I think its the luck of the draw with so many system variations out there.

That said, I'm happy with my D-Link Wireless 108G MIMO Router, although I was dumbfounded by all the choices at the store. Even of the same brand, there are tons of variations. There were 3 D-link routers that as far as I could tell did the same thing, supporting the same standard, but with slightly different names. Very confusing... :confused:

-David