Airport and Mario Kart DS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sol, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I have a PowerMac G4 with a first generation Airport card running OS X 10.4.3 and a Nintendo DS with a copy of Mario Kart DS. My computer gets broadband through an ADSL modem and until now I have never used the Airport card for anything. I want to get Mario online so I went into the Sharing preference pane, turned on Personal Web Sharing and Internet sharing but the DS cannot find anything. How can I tell that my Airport card is working? How do I get the DS to pick join the wireless network and go online?

I am very disappointed by this game. It was supposed to be very easy to get online but it looks like once again Mac users have been left out of the equation. Worse of all there is no help on the internet because everyone is too busy playing the game. The other threads on this Forum have not been very helpful, including the one from Zeeman that many people have pointed to. If anyone knows how to get the DS online please tell me how.

2. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

it worked great for me.

in mario kart you just select the airport
    in the 3 easy step page.

then it all just works.

i didnt have to do anything to my airport.
    Nintendo and Apple are the perfect match.
    Simple and Easy!

3. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Lucky you. Unfortunately on my Mac there is no perfect match.

4. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

first of all, are you getting wireless internet to your Mac???
    you should see the BArs at the top..

once you know that your internet is up and working..

-turn on your DS
    -touch mario kart
    -Nintendo WFC
    -Nintendo WFC Settings
    -then press the BIG blue Button "Nintendo wi-fi"
    -click the first box to scan for your internet
    THEN YOUR DONE..
    easy as cluber girl

5. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

My Mac is getting its broadband connection through Ethernet. I have an Airport card installed and it has been configured to share the internet connection. The Big Blue Button in Mario Kart DS does not find it.

6. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

wait a min...

do you have Airport Extream Base Station?

7. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

No, just a first generation Airport card. If you turn on Internet Sharing the computer's wifi card is supposed to act like a wireless access point (like the Airport Base Station).

8. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

its not a Transmitter, its a Receiver...

you need to buy an Airport Extream
    Nintendo gave it a 5 star rating.

thats your whole prob.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, he's right, you can use the Airport card like a base station and have other cards connect to it.

Have you tried manual settings?

10. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

well, nintendo only rated the airport extream...

so i think he is on his own here.

11. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

If you mean manually typing the IP address, etc in the game like Zeeman described then yes and that failed too. If anyone reading this has a similar setup to mine please walk me though the process.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Don't mean to pester you about it, but what were the settings? I'm not sure whether you would set Default Gateway to the IP of your router (if you have one), or the IP of your Mac. If you have no router (the modem itself is directly connected), then check the local IP of your Mac and make sure that is what Default Gateway is set to. Then, give your DS the same IP changing only the last number, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, DNS of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

If you already thought of all that, then nevermind.

13. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Please, do pester me if you know how to get my DS online. I followed your instructions and it still does not work. With Airport I have created a computer to computer network but strangely the Network Status shows a red button next to Airport (see the picture). Is this normal? I also see the red button when I share the Internet connection through Airport.

Attached Files:

14. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

What OS version are you running. I dont have a DS but i might be able to help.

If you go to system preferences>sharing>and select personal web sharing.
    Then go to the internet tab>share your connection from: airport. Then select to computers using 'airport'.

Since i dont have a DS i can not test this and confirm that it will work. Hope that points you in the correect direction though

15. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I haven't been able to use the airport extreme card in my powerbook as an accespoint for the DS. The main reason is that it does not provide the DS with an IP. When I use my PSP to connect to that same network, the PSP (unlike the DS) displays most or all of the pertinent info, but even inputing that info into the MArio Kart Wifi manual setting results in the message "access point detected, but cannot connect to the server". (error code 52000 and others in a similar range).

At this point the problem seems to lie in determining the correct gateway setting, something not reported by the PSP or the Apple Netwrok preferences. My next step is going to be taking the ethernet IP address as revealed by network preferences, and manually input that into the "gateway" field in the DS.

On the other hand I'm more than a little frustrated with the 1+ hours spent troubleshooting, and 30+ minutes spent getting through the phone support menus and talking to a Nintendo rep who seemed to know nothing about what I'm attempting to do with the airport card.

Morever, I know that as soon as I buy an airport express base station and start playing Mario Kart, someone will have figured out how to play online using the same system setup I have now.

I suppose it might be helpful to run virtual pc and then use: programs-->run-->cmd.exe-->ipconfig/all as pc users have done in order to detect the relevant network info.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Tonight I'll try to recreate your setup. Also, do you have a router on the network or is the modem directly connected to your Mac?

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

under mac os x: try running "terminal" and type in "ifconfig" perhaps it will help you ..

edit: "lo0" looks like loopback

en0: like ethernet adapter

fw0: is firewire
    gif0: stf0: no idea

en1 is the airport card:

turned on internetsharing here and it looks like this
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255
    inet6 fe80::211:24ff:fe2d:3146 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    ether 00:11:24:2d:31:46
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect

so the gateway should be 10.0.2.1
    i have no idea about the possible settings in the ds but try out using 10.0.2.2 or higher for an manual ip

18. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

I've heard a couple people say they've done it, but I don't know... I tried absolutely everything I could think of, spent hours trying to get it to work, but only got as far as the 52100 error, which is can connect to access point, but not server.

So I broke down and bought an Airport Express... it works beautifully, and I kind of need one anyways for when come home from school, so it's all good.

19. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Finally did it! I'm up an playing Mario Kart online using only the airport extreme card in my powerbook, which is connected directly to the broadband modem.

Allthough I had previously used 10.0.2.1 for the gateway, as takao suggests above, 10.0.2.2 never worked for the IP address. When using that for the IP, I always got the message "connected to access point but cannot connect to server."

What I did instead was add "10" to the last number cluster in the IP detected by my PSP in infrastructure mode.
    Talking to the Nintendo WIFI rep had only thrown me off previously, since she recommended adding "1" to the IP detected by the PSP, whereas adding "10" was what was suggested in another thread (I think the one from gamefaqs).

So these are the manually inputed DS settings that work for me:
    IP: 10.2.0.15 (PSP had reported 10.0.2.5 which, like 10.0.2.2, did not work)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (PSP had reported 255.255.252.0, which does not work)
    Gateway: 10.0.2.1 (reported by the PSP under "router")
    Primary DNS: 10.0.2.1 (reported by PSP)
    Secondary DNS: 10.0.2.1 (ditto)

Just for reference, typing "ifconfig" in terminal produced the same results as takao posted above.

And for those new to the discussion, the prerequisite for all the above is to create a network by going to: system preferences-->sharing-->share connection from "ethernet" to computers using "airport". I named my network "tneduts" before clicking "start" and then manually entered that name in the Mario Kart SSID field before entering any of the above numbers.

Finally! (and I almost went out and bought an airport express for $129.99 at the local comp store)

btw- my screen name is "aphex"

20. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Has anyone looked at the picture I posted of my Network Status? If you have please confirm that there is something wrong with it. I suspect that the Airport should have a green button next to it when it is working. By running the Network Utility I can see that the Link Status is 'Inactive' so I need to know how to make it active.

Man, talk about false advertising. Airport is just as complicated to use as any generic wifi card on Windows.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It will only have a green button when it's being used to connect to the internet.

22. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Success!

I take it back! The fault was completely mine. This was an after-market Airport card and when I installed it I did not plug in a small cable that must have been the antenna. After I did that the computer booted up and the Network Status showed an orange light, indicating that Internet Sharing was on!

Now, this is the bit that is relevant to everyone else with a similar setup to mine, ie. broadband through ethernet and Airport card but no Access Point. On the Connection Settings of the game select 'No' for Auto obtain IP and DNS. On the Mac launch the Network Utility and from the Info tab select 'en1' to see the Airport IP. Whatever that number is, insert it as your Gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS on the game's Connection Settings. In my case it was 10.0.2.1 and I suspect it is the same for everyone. In the IP Address add ten to the last digit (thanks TheGimp) so it becomes 10.0.2.11 and for Subnet Mask type 255.255.255.0

Test the connection and then join me online!

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

good to know it works with internal airport express... especially for the next year when the revolution is coming along ;) (i'll skip the DS... but i'm extremly tempted)

24. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Aw g'head and splurge. It's fun and not too expensive. You can get a used DS for under $100 and then use a 2 week Gamefly trial to rent a couple games such as Mario Kart and Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Metroid Pinball, or Castlevania DS, all of which are fun games by any standard.

25. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

I'm very excited that everyone has gotten their DS to work with their internal airport card. I, however, haven't figured it out yet. I have tried both directions above but still get error code: 52101: connected to access point but unable to connect to server. When testing the connection the DS tries to connect for a long time but it still ends up in error. The network utility shows that there are bits sent and received between the two machines. I have an iMac G5. PLEASE HELP I WANNA PLAY ONLINE!