Airport and Net Sharing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Eomando, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Eomando macrumors member

Apr 7, 2004
    Hi all,

I've got an annoying (hopefully easy to solve) problem with sharing the net between a windows laptop and my powerbook. The problem is basically this:

- The windows laptop is connected to the net (ethernet).
    - I start a wireless network
    - windows laptop joins it and shares the net connection

Up to here all works fine, but then if my powerbook goes to sleep, it loses the wireless connection, and if i join the network afterwards, i don't have access to the net.. What follows then is what i've come to call the "wireless dance", windows laptop turns off their wireless, i turn off mine, start it and create the network, etc etc...

Any suggestions??

Also, do any of you have any ideas about why *I* have to start the wireless network? We've tried it with the windows laptop creating the network, and that seems to be a no-go from the start, then my powerbook doesn't get the net... it's all a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated - i'd like my laptop to be able to sleep occasionally!
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Sounds like a problem with the Windows computer not wanting to grab a new IP from the DHCP on the Powerbook, so then NAT doesn't work right.
  3. Eomando thread starter macrumors member

Apr 7, 2004
    We're using static ip's (a 192.168.x.x affair), so i'm not sure if that would be the problem? Any other suggestions?

I'll see in a couple of days if this works the other way around (with my powerbook sharing the ethernet connection) when I start back at uni - if it all works fine there, then i'll be calling my bf's laptop all sorts of names! :)