Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
Hi all,

I've got an annoying (hopefully easy to solve) problem with sharing the net between a windows laptop and my powerbook. The problem is basically this:

- The windows laptop is connected to the net (ethernet).
- I start a wireless network
- windows laptop joins it and shares the net connection

Up to here all works fine, but then if my powerbook goes to sleep, it loses the wireless connection, and if i join the network afterwards, i don't have access to the net.. What follows then is what i've come to call the "wireless dance", windows laptop turns off their wireless, i turn off mine, start it and create the network, etc etc...

Any suggestions??

Also, do any of you have any ideas about why *I* have to start the wireless network? We've tried it with the windows laptop creating the network, and that seems to be a no-go from the start, then my powerbook doesn't get the net... it's all a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated - i'd like my laptop to be able to sleep occasionally!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Sounds like a problem with the Windows computer not wanting to grab a new IP from the DHCP on the Powerbook, so then NAT doesn't work right.

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
We're using static ip's (a 192.168.x.x affair), so i'm not sure if that would be the problem? Any other suggestions?

I'll see in a couple of days if this works the other way around (with my powerbook sharing the ethernet connection) when I start back at uni - if it all works fine there, then i'll be calling my bf's laptop all sorts of names! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.