Airport and Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jovian9, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hello. I have a 17" iMac with an AE Base Station Connected and a 17" PB with an Airport Card. I have 2 problems:
    1. I want to be able to network the PB with the iMac for transferring m$ office documents and PDF files to my PB (for work purposes). When I try to connect to the server it recognizes my AE BS as 10.0.x.x, it recognizes and gets a signal from the AE BS and lets me use it to print to my printer that is connected to the AE BS via USB......but it times out or gets no response from the server when I try to network it with the iMac. The iMac is connected via ethernet to the 2nd port from the L (when looking at the back) on the AEBS ( I have the one without the 56k extension and w/o the antenna ports). I am not trying to get an internet connection here as I have to use dial-up now. I used to have a G4 iBook and I never had this problem with it. Is there something I may be doing wrong?
    2. I work in a college town which has lots of wireless spots available. 2 months ago I signed up for a Kiva connection which gave me access to wireless at a lot of downtown areas. Also at a local indie video store/cafe they have wi-fi and our local library has wi-fi. These worked fine for a month but have quit working. When I try to connect I am told that safari cannot find the server and nothing loads. What could be going wrong here?

I have all the latest updates for everything possible on the iMac, PB, and AEBS. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Should I reset my AE BS and try that? I'd hate to mess up my printer connection with my PB but it seems resetting is the only option right now. This is the last post I will make unless someone responds with any ideas. Thanks!