AirPort and security

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JLaFrance, Jun 9, 2004.

1. JLaFrance macrumors member

Lets say that I have my theoretical 12'' PB :cool: with Airport extreme and I'm sitting in Barnes and Noble or Starbucks, surfing the web or writing a paper (while online), since barnes and noble and Starbucks, have wireless internet for free, how big is the risk that someone is going to hack , or try to hack into my computer and steal...whatever..., Would it be that big of a problem to have to turn on both a firewall and the "master password" (file encryption) or just one or....what level of security should I have to be safe? Thanks!

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, I am overly concerned with my privacy, so I would say you can never have too much security. However, as for how much is really necessary, I cannot speak to that.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Where do you find free net access at Starbucks? Those tMobile hotspots are pricey.

Run a firewall and be careful what information you transmit. If I were going to try to hack into people's computers and steal information that is exactly where I would do it.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

If you turn on your firewall and filevault, it is very unlikely anyone cares enough to go through the trouble of breaking into your computer.

Even if they did, you've got a Mac; they probably don't know how to hack it :D.

5. JLaFrance thread starter macrumors member

uhhhh...go to Starbucks.com and it has a list of all the locations that have wireless internet for free :cool: (im in Rochester NY if that helps any)

Thanks for the input!