AirPort and Windows Laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lopez.T.H., Jul 15, 2005.

1. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Will the AirPort Express work with a windows laptop with a wireless card?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes. This is something that is made fairly explicitly clear on Apple's website. ;)

But while I'm posting, some caveats:

- It's unlikely, but possible in principle, that you have a windows laptop somehow with an 802.11a only wireless card. In which case you are SOL.

- If you want to use WPA, the laptop will have to support WPA. Last I checked, there were still a lot of Wifi devices in the Wintel world that supported WEP but not WPA. WEP is really not that great, but I suppose it is better than nothing.

- If you want to stream music from iTunes, I think, or if you want to print wirelessly, you will either need Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I am actually not even sure you can administrate the Airport from versions before Win2k, because, AFAIK, there is no web-based configuration for Airport devices (only the Airport Admin utility).

EDIT: Also please consider shortening your signature. Compare the length of your post and the length of your signature... everyone wants to share your enjoyment of your new toy with you, but you don't need an 11 line sig to get the point across....