Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu_B_doo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
Sunny Manchester
Right, I have just got ADSL and have it set up working perfectly for internet access with a router plugged into my apple airport. I am now trying to get XBox live working with the set up with no luck. The xbox site lists my router as one that it definitely supports.

I have bought a cross over ethernet cable and plugged it into the mac and Xbox. In OSX I have then gone to system prefs/ sharing/ internet/ turn on sharing. This doesn't work and I get a general error message on the XBox saying that it may be the cable, settings or device not on causing the trouble. I need to plug into my mac's ethernet as the Xbox is next to my mac and isn't feasible to plug straight into the router.

I am using OSX 10.2.6 and OS9.2. Any help on getting the setup working would be great.

shake

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
i have an xbox on my network, but do not play xbox live.
i can tell you that using a crossover cable to connect your xbox to your mac will NOT work. even if u had a pc, it would not work. if u had a modded xbox, then it would work with a pc, and would work on a mac through virtualPC. do u have a modded xbox or a regular (yawn) one?

regular (un-modded) xboxs are not meant to connect to other computers.

shake

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
if you have a modded xbox u can connect your mac to your xbox via ftp for file transfers very easily but not for xbconnect or xbox live

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Re: Airport And XBox Live Trouble. Please Help.

Originally posted by stu_B_doo
Right, I have just got ADSL and have it set up working perfectly for internet access with a router plugged into my apple airport. I am now trying to get XBox live working with the set up with no luck. The xbox site lists my router as one that it definitely supports.

I have bought a cross over ethernet cable and plugged it into the mac and Xbox. In OSX I have then gone to system prefs/ sharing/ internet/ turn on sharing. This doesn't work and I get a general error message on the XBox saying that it may be the cable, settings or device not on causing the trouble. I need to plug into my mac's ethernet as the Xbox is next to my mac and isn't feasible to plug straight into the router.

I am using OSX 10.2.6 and OS9.2. Any help on getting the setup working would be great.

Do you have access control on?
no never-mind that would not work.
I have used my xbox live both ways you tried. and it works for me. Is it possible that your isp wont let you play games on it? what about plugging in your xbox directly to the connection... see if that works... then you will know where the problem is.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by shake
Kwijibo,

how are you connecting your mac to your xbox?
are you using an ftp client? or virtualPC?

I run evox as my OS and it has an ftp server built into it... i connect a crossover cable to the back of the xbox and one to my mac and load up an ftp program like transmit and it connects thru there...couldn't be simpler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.