Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I'm thinking of picking up an xbox for the holidays, and I'm intriuged by the possibility of playing games on the whole "xbox live" thing. I've got high-speed internet and it runs through an airport extreme. Does anyone else have AE with an xbox? How is it done, or am I just SOL?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
is the xbox near the AE basestation? Is it possible to hardwire it?
If not then you still have options but they arent' cheap Linksys has a game adaptor thats like 100 bucks. Xbox is a cool system, i don't play the live stuff mostly because my xbox is modded and I havent' done all of the things to make it live compatible again.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Regrettably, the airport is two floors above the would-be location of the xbox.

Looking at the xbox paraphanalia, it seems to state that if you wire directly into the xbox, and then to the computer (or in my case, the airport) you cannot use the internet while the xbox is on. I guess that can be circumvented by a router, which would split the signal into two, one to the airport and one to xbox. Is that correct? This is all hypothetical, anyway, since the line comes into my house far from the xbox.

What is Linksys device? Is there a link which describes it?

Sheebahawk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
Long Beach California
xbox wireless

Yeah xbox live is half the xbox experiance, but unfortanetly, the xbox wireless adapter (g) is about 120 bones. I' might have picked one up if my first run xbox still ran. Its surprisingly easy to network, but if you are two stories away from the airport base, I think the wireless adapter is the way to go. Wolfenstein is good online, and Raven shield, I'd pik up Star wars KOTOR (not live) if you like those types of games. You just can't beat talking **** through the headset while you shoot someone in the head with a submahine gun :p. Oh yeah I'd stay away from unreal hampionship. have fun

oyho

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
London
Xbox Live - Airpor

I have a similar question: my usb modem is plugged in another room to my iMac. My iMac is sharing it's connection true it's built in airport card. Can I simply plug my AE base station to my Xbox?
Thanks,
oyho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.