Airport Antenna "hack" for Dual 2.0 G5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2A Batterie, Aug 26, 2006.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I have a dual 2.0 G5 (rev A, I think) that requires a supplied external antenna on the tower to receive airport signal. Something went askew with this antenna about two months ago. I've tried a million things before I figured out that it was the antenna that was causing my issues. The little wire inside the antenna that connects to the antenna port had become bent. I went to the Apple Store, but they didn't have an external G5 antenna in stock and said they would have to special order one for me, only if I had my computer examined by a "Genius" first. I tried Fidgeting with the antenna, which worked for a while, but I kept on losing signal more frequently as time progressed. Eventually I began using gaffer's tape (think fabric-like black duct dape) to hold the antenna firmly in place, but this only worked temporarily. Again, my signal was not being picked up today so I tried a million things. I tried using a toothpick to re-bend the internal anttena back in to place. The toothpicks kept on breaking so I tried using a fabric pin, which failed to work. Finally, I just tried sticking the little pin in the airport antenna hole on my G5 and much to my suprise *voila* it worked! Who would have thought?!? Now I don't have to worry about this stupid airport problem or waste time anymore! Just thought I would share. Feel free to flame if I'm being an absolute n00b.

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Why does it need an external antenna:confused:

I thought it is just an aiport card with a built in antenna?

3. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I think it may just be the rev. a dual 2.0 G5's that need that little external antenna.

4. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I had a rev. B that required one also. Not sure about the rev. C models though.

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

My Dual 2.7 came with one. I don't know if it's required though as I don't have an airport card installed.

6. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Someone helped on the MR For Sale section a while ago

Post a wanted ad in the FS area.

Also, you can find this on Ebay, easily.

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I know that this item can be found on eBay, but I was just sharing this info so that perhaps someone in the same situation can save themselves some time, money, and hassle.

8. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

What you propose is insane

Realize please that most antenna's require the proper impedance to function correctly.

What you are doing is dangerous to the Mac's Airport card, as well as further up the chain. A G5 Logic Board is still $800.

Good luck with the Hack.

9. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I was using the term "hack" sarcastically as to poke fun at the crude method of using an antenna. What are my risks using a needle instead of the antenna?

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Well, OSX will randomly freeze, and all your apps will be deleted, and you will be the first mac user to get a virus.

Then, when you least expect it, your G5 will blow up, and shatter into a million pieces:p :D

11. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Oh that's it?

Seriously, I'd like to know why this is risky if anyone know if and/or why this is a bad idea. I was bumming out with having to fiddle with my antenna so much and was glad that a pin works, but I don't want to mess anything up. Anyone have any thoughts?

12. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I cant believe Apple wouldnt just sell you one. Its a pain to deal with the genius bar for a laptop, nevermind a 40lb G5.

13. jimrage macrumors newbie

You rule!

I was just about to order an antenna off of a laptop when I saw you post. I stuck a pin in the back of my tower and bam! I'm replying to you on my tower seconds later.

I made this account just to thank you.