Airport At Fault or Belkin Router??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drpepper99uk, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Drpepper99uk macrumors member

Hello,

I have recently become an iMac user and I'm loving the whole Mac experience apart from one thing which is driving me crazy at the moment. I have been using my Belkin router with the built in Airport in my iMac and it appears to be not only slow(I have a 4.5 Meg ADSL MAX connection with a fast ISP) but also unreliable in the sense that I can browse the net for about 45 minutes with no such problems and then if I try to load up a website(any that is) I have to wait for about 2 minutes for it to do whatever it's doing(no amount of clicking refresh will help) and then it will let me continue browsing. I have looked at the airport status icon and it appears to be getting a good signal even when this problem happens the signal indicator in the top right hand corner never drops or disappears. I also have to wait when checking my emails via Thunderbird when this happens so it's got to be related to my connection somewhere along the line.

I have read various problems based on the airport hardware and that OS X 10.4.8(which is what I'm using) has it's fair share of problems when using the built in wireless feature so I'm really not sure on where to go from here as I have downloaded all the most recent important Mac updates, there is no firmware updates for my router either or the airport for the iMac either. So what do you think would be the best course of action to take? I've read about changing the routers channel, using WPA instead of WEP none of these worked for me.

I was considering buying a Mac compatible USB dongle to use with my router as that's what I used to use on my PC with no problems at all, but then it kinda defeats the aim of having the wireless built in....but then again if I keep getting this problem I may consider doing it if it means I have a more reliable connection.

Michael.

2. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Belkin networking equipment is notorious for being nothing but crap, the exception being their early line of Pre-N gear.

3. Drpepper99uk thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

I have managed to get around this problem by using my old Edimax USB dongle with the provided OS X drivers on the supplied cd, and it nows appears to be a lot faster and more reliable than the airport built into the iMac has ever been. It's a shame because I really like the idea and concept of the airport built in, but if it's problematic or unreliable then it's not worth having or using-One for Apple to take on board and do something about!!!

Michael.