AirPort Base Station not working... I think

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GeeYouEye, Dec 4, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

My AirPort Base Station (snow) is having some seriously weird problems, such as not responding to restart commands given through the AirPort Admin Utility. Also, the internet connection will occasionally spontaneously die, and when it does, the submenu for the network (PPPoE (I know) running Panther) disappears, and, back in Jaguar, I would get "status not available" in Internet Connect; now I just get the name of the network and no status indication. This has happened before, but usually, cycling the power is enough to fix it. Takes two attempts, tops. But right now, it's been going on for 2 days! It's ridiculous, and I can't seem to stay connected very long. Any ideas?

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I had the same trouble on an airport. It was solved by updating the firmware, and turning down the signal strength because of excessive noise. I have 35 Airports, and there was some unavoidable crosstalk, AND I had a bad nic card in a laser printer. I know you don't have that many, but get MacStumbler and check the noise thingee.
    \Hope this helps.

3. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I have the latest firmware, AFAIK. What should the noise be? It's at 15-17 right now.