Airport base station or linksys wireless router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DEXTERITY, Oct 12, 2004.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    sorry for all the questions the past two days. Can someone please help me with one more thing. Currently, I have a Powermac G4 hooked up to a cable modem via a linksys router which I love to death. I have no problems connecting online via my ps2 as some routers suffer from. however, I am about to purchase a Powermac G5 and need a way to connect both. Do I get the airport card for the G5 and the base station for the G4 and connect this way or is a wireless linksys better? If so, how do the two computers connect. I know one connects to the router itself, but is there another piece I need for the G5 to connect wirelessly? I hope I stated that right. thanks.. oh and soon the Nintendo DS will be connecting wirelessly for gaming. thanks in advance.
  2. igucl macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2003
    This may be isolated to my AirPort, but I have to unplug it daily because it stops recognizing the internet connection from my cable modem. When I plug it back in it's fine, but this is annoying.
  3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    all you'll need is an Airport Extreme card for the G5 to connect wirelessly to your Linkys wireless access point / router. You don't need an Airport Base Station to get things to work. I've been using a Linksys WRT54G with my Macs since February or March of 2003. Do a search on the forums. You'll find a lot about Linksys wireless access point / routers, including the model I use.
  4. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks, I actually ended up doing a search and found lots of helpful info.