Airport Base Station ports

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Feb 3, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I have the opportunity to buy an AirPort base station. My iBook has an AirPort card but iMac and Toshiba laptop do not. Does it have standard Ethernet ports that I can plus these in? Can I run it off of an Ethernet hub I have? Only want wireless for the iBook at this point but plan on a new Mac soon.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Airport Base Station ports

Ok, here's the deal. There is only one ethernet out on the AEBS. If you mean the older Snow Base Station, I believe there are two ethernet ports on that one. So if you are talking about the new Airport Extreme, you will need some form of hub to connect your other two machines. If you are talking the Snow BS then you won't need anything else.

Another option is to simply buy an Airport card for your iMac and use it to share your signal. You have to leave it on all the time to do that however. Same with printer sharing. You can leave you printer connected to your iMac and leave the iMac on all the time so you can print from your iBook wirelessly, or if you get an AEBS (and only the AEBS) you will have a USB port for your printer on your Base Station, and will be able to print anytime without having to leave another computer on all the time.

3. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Using your current hub is fine, just plug it in to the LAN port of the airport station, whether it be the Extreme or the Snow(aka "Dual Ethernet"). The original Graphites did not have a wired LAN capability.

The WAN port goes to your broadband if you have it, otherwise the modem on the snows and on the more expensive AEBS will take care of your needs.
    The ABS/AEBS will take care of NAT and Firewall duties.

4. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

It's either a Snow or an Extreme (same color). By the recessed lights, it looks to be an Extreme, though likely the cheaper model without the internal 56k modem and external antenna port.

Should do what you want, assuming you have broadband.

6. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Thank you.

I asume either model will support the AirPort card in my notebook and most .b wireless cards for my laptop???

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-rdowns

Yep!

The Airport is a very capable wired/wireless router.

8. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Thanks to all for the help. May you all find anew Apple product available on Tuesday.