airport base station question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by macstudent, May 22, 2002.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I am thinking of buying a new combo ibook with an airport card. My roommates and I have a cable modem at our house with a 4 port ethernet router/switch. Will I be able to hook up my airport base station to this router and not screw up our existing network? Or should we sell our router and just use the base station? I am new to wireless networking.

thanks in advance.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Personally, I would sell the router and just use the Airport base station. The new base station has a firewall built in, and can give out IP's to BOTH Mac's and pc's. It functions equally well with both DSL and Cable modems, and is pretty easy to set up for both.

I still need to do the rebate for my new base station, but I have been using it for the past couple of weeks without issue. Just make sure that you don't install Sharity onto your Airport equipped Mac (it forks the settings up, as well as the connection stability).

3. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

how many ports does the new base station have? we need all 4 ports that are currently on our router. I would prefer to sell it since we just bought it a month ago.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The new base has one WAN (for your Cable modem) and one LAN (that can be connected to a network switch). I would say, sell the router you have and use some of that money to get an 8 port switch (they go for under $100).

If you did get it a month ago, can you return it?? See if you can and/or exchange it for a switch. That way, you will have more ports for additional systems/devices (like printers).

5. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I forgot to mention that the other 4 computers are all wired. Thats why I think I still need the router.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I still say return the router and get an 8 port switch....

7. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I only paid $70 for the router/switch. The problem is that my roommates and I all chipped in for it. Therefore it is possible to sell it, but I think everyone is happy with the status quo. Thats why I am thinking of just adding the airport base station to the end of the my port in my room.

Will this technically work?

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

One problem... you would use one of the ports on the router to plug in the base station... which would then only give you three ports. It COULD work, but it won't be near as easy as just getting a network switch. They are pretty cheap these days, and it would give you room to grow.

What brand router do you have???

9. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I have a Linksys BEFSR41. Etherfast cable/dsl router with 4-port 10/100 switch.

The current setup has the router in my room next to our cable modem. One port goes to my current computer (crappy pc, but I want to concert), two more ports go to other bedrooms in the house, and the 4th port is currently open. The problem is that I plan on buying a new tower. I was planning on getting one at macworld this summer. But my new job has me working 3rd shift as a bellman and I have about 4 free hours every night so I think an ibook would be perfect to get some work done while I am at work. I also feel if I get an ibook now that it should tide me over to at least jan for MWSF. Sorry if that was more than enough info. But when I do get another tower I could just buy a switch cheap.

10. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I looked at pricewatch.com and they have 8port routers for $25+$5 shipping which isn't too bad.

Now, when I have all of this wonderful gear in my possession how do I set it up?

From the cable modem, do I plug in the airport station, and from there the switch? Or from the cable modem I plug in the switch then the airport station?

thanks again for helping me figure this out.

11. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

Well, I just answered my own question. I looked at apples page. It said that I would plug in my cable modem connection to the WAN port, and plug in my switch to the LAN.

That makes sense, duh.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you plan to add more systems, I really, really suggest doing the 8-port switch now and sell off the router you have. Especially with how easy it is to get up the base station. The base station can support up to 50 systems I believe (if not more). You can continue to add more switches to it as you need later. Since I got the new base station, I don't see any need to go with other types or routers. Maybe because I have had my network switch for some time (I picked it up back in 99 when I started to make a home network). You could even go with a 4 or 5 port switch now, and add more later.

Bottom line, since you are getting the airport base station anyway, do away with the extra router and let the base do it all for you. If other people come over with wireless cards inside their computers (Mac or pc, depending on how you config. the base), they will be able to go online as well (wirelessly).

13. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Set the airport as a bridge and it will work, have the same setup right here :•)

14. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

What is a bridge? And how and why would I set one up?

15. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

Also, what do you think of my plans for my computer.

Apple Education Store
    iBook 700MHz 12.1" - $1,641.00
    30GB Ultra ATA drive
    AirPort Card
    DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
    128MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    AirPort Base Station - $181.00
    --------------
    $1,822.00

memory from www.memorytogo.com for ibook
    512MB MODULE - $141.72

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

A bridge is that thing that you use to cross over lakes and rivers (among other things) in vehicles. :D

17. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I think my grandma has a bridge in her dentures too!

18. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i don't think anyone has suggested this yet, so i will:

why don't you just go on ebay and get the older model airport base station (graphite)? it doesn't act like a router, but just acts as one of those "bridges"...

it will be cheaper, will work with the ibook, and will let you keep that nice linksys router...

the only bad thing about the graphite base stations is its lack of support for 128 bit encryption... but who needs that anyways?? hehehe...

btw i own the older airport base station and that very linksys router and love the setup... 100 ethernet to my quicksilver g4 and peecee... and a spiffy, wireless network all for my laptop

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The older base DOES act as a router, I had mine set up that way BEFORE I got the new one. The new one puts out a stronger signal, which increases both the stability of the connection, and makes it so that you really can go the 150' from the base.

Everyone should use the 128 bit encryption. Especially if you do anything online that has to do with banking or placing orders (transmit your cc number). Without it, depending on where you are, you leave yourself wide open to having the info stolen. The only way to avoid that is with narrow beam transmission, or make it too difficult with the 128 bit encryption.

Besides, you get the new base stations for $100 less when you purchase a qualifying system, like the iBook and TiBook.

20. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I just ordered my first mac ever!!!!!

I am getting the ibook with the airport base station!

I also ordered an extra 512 mb from another site and a slim carrying case.

I can't wait to get it!!!

21. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

hehehe alpha i don't really worry too much about privacy where i live... i'm not near anyone (especially within immediate airport range) so i guess the 128 is not as important to me

thanks for setting me straight on the airport specs of the good ole graphite station and i didn't know about the 100 bucks savings with a new computer purchase...

and macstudent... congrats on the first mac, now you'll be able to truly understand the connection between machead and laptop :)

22. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I just talked to a friend of mine and he is going to buy the router off of me for $75. Now I just have to pick up a switch and wait for a little over a week before I can use it.

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Cool move... I suggest getting the Netgear switch, in either 5 port or 8 port. The more ports you get now, the less chance you will need to add another switch in the near future. It will also allow you to host a LAN party without much trouble. I would do that, except I don't know many people in my area with systems that could compete with me. :D That would be against either my TiBook or game pc.

24. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

my friend bought a new switch yesterday night from macconection... i think it was a 16 port 10/100 switch but i'm not quite sure... but check it out if you get a chance

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech