Airport base stations

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sabenth, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2003
    Ok guys I am still not set on what system i want but i do know that what ever i get my hands on I want to be able to network up to my current pc because its going to be still needed from time to time since i have reacently spent a small countrys budget in buying some of my software... Now with what ever i get i want to be able to do the network thing without cables so wireless is the way to go My all important question is how easy is it to network a pc to a mac that uses aport cards and bases

In other words. what do i need on:

A: The pc
    B: What do i need on the Mac for it to regester the pc and vice verser
    C: Is it relativly cheap to go this option or is it better to run cables

as its only 1 mac and 1 pc sorry lost my track of thought now all of a sudden.

Basicly is it easy to use a base station airport with pcs
    can i get it to also netowrk up with a hp printer deskjet and cannon DU SCANNER i want to be able to use both scanner and printer with both machines... is this posible too
  2. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    a few things...

is the printer USB? if so, the new airport extreme base station that includes USB for use as a print server would be perfect.

as for the scanner, in general, support of scanners in OS X sucks. big time. double check for your model though. for now, you might have to use it through the PC only :(

samba works for linking mac and windows.

there is no difference in ease of use for the mac in networking between wireless or wire. there is only 1 wireless card and 1 on board NIC to support, so it just works. my house is cable modem with linksys wireless router (DHCP enabled) that windows/mac/linux all see very easily. mac and linux easier than windows.
  3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Be aware

I'm pretty sure that USB print sharing is NOT supported by the Airport Base Station between PC's and the unit. Only between macs and the Base Station, and even then I am having problems making it work.

If you want to set up USB printer sharing, share the printer from your PC. I think that will be the better way.

As far as scanner sharing...I've never heard of consumer scanner networking, but I do know that a few professional scanners support it. You might be out of luck on that one.
  4. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2003
    hp deskjet 656c usb printer is what we currently use works a treat. What i think i will do is go to an apple store talk to them about my needs and wants and wish list lol and hopefully they can point me in the right direction i will admit i am still a fair way off from getting a mac of any kind but i want to be prepared because when i have everything it will all be in one go so i want it all to work when i get it all home............

How do you guys rate the whole wiless network is it a stable option. We would use cables but we rent and the land lord is kind of shaby about us doing any holes and what not all over the place so thats 1 reason why were intrested in going wirless