Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I'm planning to get a 12"Pbook in the near future and was curious if there was any benefit (other then spaceship styling) to get the Airport Base over any other Wi-Fi wireless router out there....reception, speed...etc.

I'm sure the set-up would be a little easier- but then, it wasn't as if the Linksys (wired) router I've been using was a problem.

For now, I don't understand the reason to spend 3x as much...

Thanks.

Also- what kind of distance/reception could I expect? (planning to keep the laptop on the level above the base)

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
cyks said:
I'm planning to get a 12"Pbook in the near future and was curious if there was any benefit (other then spaceship styling) to get the Airport Base over any other Wi-Fi wireless router out there....reception, speed...etc.

I'm sure the set-up would be a little easier- but then, it wasn't as if the Linksys (wired) router I've been using was a problem.

For now, I don't understand the reason to spend 3x as much...

Thanks.

Also- what kind of distance/reception could I expect? (planning to keep the laptop on the level above the base)
If you don't need the USB-Printer port, I recommend the Netgear one (I thing it was something like WGT914, about 100 bucks in Europe). It actually has better test results than the Apple AEBS. I had 'em both, didn't notice any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.