Airport Bridging(WDS) problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Schmoe0013, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

Hi, first post, and first real problem.

Recently went back to school and wanted to setup my wireless connection. I have the airport extreme base station, and a airport express. I was planing to have my base station as the main wds, and have the express has a wireless bridge using the wds built in. I had to disable the distribute ip fuction of the airport extreme so my school network could connect to the network. The ethernet cable was pluged into the wan port on the extreme.

It would, however, still work if i set distribute ip and pluged the cable into the lan port of the extreme, and i could connect just fine. The real problem comes with the express. I have very little desk space and so wireless printing and stereo is great. However, when i setup it up as a remote base station connected to the extreme, printing and air tunes do not work.

I temporarily got around this inconvenience by having the express as its own network that distributes its own ip, (no ethernet is connected to it, however, so no internet if i'm not pluged into a wall outlet) which does allow access to the printer and air tunes.

This DOES work, but it is a major inconvenience if i don't have access to a wall outlet and want to print. EX, when i want to be connected and find something i need to print, i have to swich airport networks to the express, print, then switch back to the extreme to continue surfing.

Any input would be great. Thanks in advance!

2. Schmoe0013 thread starter macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I had a somewhat close configuration.

The Extreme was setup like this:

Cable Modem -> WAN port

On the Internet tab of the Extreme,
    Connect Using: was set to Ethernet
    Configure: was set to Using DHCP

On the Network tab of the Extreme,
    Distribute IP addresses was checked
    Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT) was selected
    192.168.1.1 addressing was selected

WDS setup

The Express was setup with WDS

Didn't have any problems.

Two thoughts. #1 -- is your place big enough that you need WDS for coverage? WDS cuts your network speed in half (as each access point has to rebroadcast everything that the other access point does). Speed may not be an issue for you, but I copy a lot of crap between my mini and my MacBook and it was so slow I ended up not using it. Other than a LAN port, your Express has the same routing capabilities as the Extreme. Could you not just use the Express, or is there no school network jack near your desk?

#2 -- I'm confused why you don't have the Extreme set to Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT) so that everything on you end gets a 192.168.1.X IP address. Even though that's not the IP range your school uses, the Extreme should NAT everything through OK. Are you renewing your DHCP lease on your computer each time you dick around with the Extreme's DHCP settings?

As far as I know (and I could definately be wrong), as long as your computer and the Airport Express are on the same subnet, Bonjour will take care of them seeing each other (when it comes to the music and printer sharing).

Sorry I couldn't offer any specific help! :(