Airport buying advice, please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jennconducts@ho, Jul 31, 2004.

1. jennconducts@ho macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2004
    Hi all, from a Mac newbie.

I have a new G4 PB, and a Windows desktop, with a DSL connection. I want to be able to use the PB wireless, on the same internet connection as the PC. At the loceal Mac store, I was sold a Netgear router, but I and tecnical support at Netgear can't get it to work at all (he suggests that the unit is defective, and to return it for an exchange). My question: can Airport do what I want, i.e. connect my Windows desktop and let me work wireless with my PB? Thanks much for any help.
  2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    I don't know that much about the Airport Base station, but something tells me that both the PC and the Mac need to be Wireless as I do not think that the Airport has an area for plugging a hard line in.

A Linksys or 3Com with both a 4-port switch, and wireless will work though.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Airport Extreme

The Apple Airport Extreme ($200 dollar version) will do what you are asking of it. It will give you both wireless connectivity, and it has a spot for an ethernet spot for the wired PC.

The Airport Express does not have this extra port for a wired computer.

The Airport Extreme will be more expensive than a netgear or linksys solution though. I would try giving another netgear router a try. You prob just got a bad one.
  4. itsumo macrumors member

Jul 6, 2004
    Yes - I run exactly the same set-up (G4 PowerBook and PC desktop, sharing internet) over a Netgear router and haven't had any problems with it at all. I got the 802.11b version cheap. I used to have the PC wired into it but I bought a USB dongle and have un-plugged it.