Airport Card Acting Weird

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Sep 28, 2005.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software problem (hopefully software), but two or three times a week, my airport card just stops giving me internet. It still picks up the signal, but I can't get online. I then restart my computer, and it works perfectly fine until the next time this occurs.

It's not my network, because only my main Powermac is affected, and it can't get internet from the neighbor's network either (I only did this to test). Any ideas as to what the problem is?

2. yenko macrumors 6502a

Does this happen when you get a phone call?? :eek:

3. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Nope. It's not the network. My mom's computer (also a Mac) is not affected at all, and all my phones have phone filters. This only started to happen rather recently, but not at the same time as an OS update.

4. yenko macrumors 6502a

OK.

Did you install the AirPort card yourself?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, do you have Use Interference Robustness checked?

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What is interface robustness anyway? Sorry for the moronic question.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not a moronic question at all. I don't know how it works but I know it cuts out other wireless interference sources such as microwaves and cordless phones (the two biggest culprits) by narrowing the channel it broadcasts/receives on.

To properly take advantage of it, the base station must also be set to broadcast with Interference Robustness too, which it is by default on newer versions of the firmware. :)

8. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I didn't install it myself. The store I got my Powermac (and the card) from installed it, because I get free service for life. It was working fine until recently. Strangely enough, I don't seem to have an Interference Robustness option in my airport menu, which is strange, because I'm pretty sure it used to be there, and it's on my laptop.

The thing is, when the internet stops working, it still sees my network. The missing "Interference Robustness" option leads me to believe it may be some software problem. (I do mess with my system occasionally, although I haven't recently)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, in the System Preferences, under the Networking tab, does renewing the DHCP Lease get you back online? Also, maybe try turning off IPv6 in the same window (TCP/IP tab).

As for the missing Interference Robustness option, that's weird. I'm pretty sure the original AirPort cards don't show the option (they have it on by default) but this is an Extreme card.

10. yenko macrumors 6502a

Not good! :eek:

11. yenko macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm............are you comfortable digging around inside of your computer? :eek:

12. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I'll try renewing the DHCP license or disabling IPv6 the next time the issue happens.

I'm fairly comfortable digging around inside my computer.

13. yenko macrumors 6502a

This is just a guess....but...it is possible that either the connection of the airport card is not fully seated/loose, the antennae is not firmly plugged in, or the antannae lead may be grounded or touching something. :confused:

just a thought! :eek: