AirPort card, Belkin router & how to get online. Help, please

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hubcap, Apr 7, 2004.

1. hubcap macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2004
    as far as I've seen there were a few posts about AirPort installation and such things on the board, but I still didn't see anything that would combine all the puzzle pieces in my head...

My friend in the US wants to be able to get online w/ his Mac G4 (uses System 9 still)

- a wireless Belkin router is already set up and works well w/ the other computers in the house

- he got an AirPort card for his mac and installed it properly it seems, since
    a) there is already an Airport link in the apple menu and
    b) because Belkin shows up on the list

Now the problems:

-my friend chose Airport in the TCP/IP window but still needs to 'manually'
    provide the IP address otherwise it won't link.

(...I thought the mac would receive the subnet-mask & ip-address automatically from the router...)

-also, whatever settings he put on there, it wants to automatically dial-up to earthlink, which is his old provider. It keeps tying to dial out.

What does he need to do?
    There's unfortunately no manual & I can't send him any pdf's since he can't get online...

Any help or ideas?

Thank you.
  2. hubcap thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2004

Is there really no one who can give advice here?

It seems so simple...installing the airport card, it receives the router signal and typing in the needed information...but it wouldn't work.

"No status available"

3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
  4. dashriprock macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2004
    My only suggestion would be to ensure the latest version of AirPort is installed on the machine.

I threw an AirPort card in my Cube last week (OSX, mind you), and it detected it fine, found my wireless router (Netgear) and seemed to allow me to give the 'password' to the network. Then it gave me a very undescriptive networking error. I then went to Apple's site, downloaded the latest version of AirPort, and after a restart, it automatically picked my wireless network, logged in and I had no problems.

Again, however, this IS OSX, so results may vary with 9.
  5. hubcap thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2004
    Thank you for replying so far.

Yeah, 9 seems out of date, but if the majority of software just works on 9 and there's no money for upgrading, that's how it is...ay.