Airport card disconnecting during sleep

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MontgomeryBurns, Jun 26, 2004.

1. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

I have a g3 iMac with an airport card in it. While the imac is awake and being used everything works beautifully, but when the hard drive goes to sleep the airport card disconnects itself from the network. Upon wake it quickly reconnects on its own.

If it were any other computer I wouldn't see this as a problem, but this particular imac is serving a shared itunes library and a printer and I have to go wake it up every time I want to access it over the network. When I had it set up on the ethernet, it would just wake up automatically if it needed to be accessed while sleeping.

So I'm wondering, is this some attribute of airport that I'm not aware of? Is it a setting that can be changed that I haven't found? Is something bunk?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. DeadEye686 macrumors member

Are you running OS X? I know there was an issue with a previous AirPort software update that caused this bug, and the last AP software update (released a few weeks ago) fixed it.

3. pinkeye00 macrumors newbie

10.3.4 seems to be a HUGE hack job. I mean, this was very much like a 10.2.x release that caused some network problems in the G4 line.

I am having issues with my G5 coming up with sleep. The airport card basically WON'T connect. I have to restart my network services either from command line, or by turning off the airport card and then back on.

Its really rediculous how these things are happening! Especially so close to WWDC, and in the 4th!!! yes 4TH!!!! update for 10.3. These things are SUPPOSED to be fixed and stable on such a long code base from the initial release of the new stuff! I mean, its optimized yes .. but if your hardware fails early .. then WTF!?

Apple, needs to work on its SDLC (software development life cycle) issues and do some serious quality control. These are SERIOUS problems.

4. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Perhaps these problems have been brought to Apple's attention, and for that reason they will be releasing new OS versions less frequently.

5. MontgomeryBurns thread starter macrumors member

10.3.4, and I'm pretty on top of the software update.

At least my bong still works.

6. lordmac macrumors regular

A way to get around it

I have had this problem with my powerbook and i have noticed that it seems to be a little better about it with the latest updates but the quickest way to get around this especialy with a non-laptop machine is to just go to the power saving controls in system prefs and make it so your computer wont go to sleep.

-lordmac
    hope this helps
    sry for any spelling or gramer mistakes.