Airport card doesnt work after G4 sleeps

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Richard Cranium, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Richard Cranium macrumors newbie

I'm using a 867dp G4 with an airport card to connect to my highspeed internet. When I put the computer to sleep the airport card will sometimes have no signal, so i have to restart the computer. It never moves so it doesnt apear to be signal interference. Has anyone else experienced this? is there anyway to stop this from happening?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

RC

2. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

have your tried just turning your airport off and then on again instead of rebooting. it's a workaround though not a fix.

3. Crazy Canuck macrumors newbie

I've had this problem as well. Only occasionally, about once in 50, but it is annoying. You just have to give airport a kick in the bum, as mentioned earlier, to get it going.

4. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

I don't know if that's it. I'm having a big problem with my 15" FW800 PB. Nearly every time I bring it out of sleep, the airport fails. Many times it comes up and looks active - and I can even get some data through it, but about the time the battery meter ends it's "calculating" cycle and goes to time/percent remaining, the airport loses connection.

It looks active, and the choice to turn it off is there, but no networks are detected and when I looked in System Profiler the other day, it said the airport was "turned off". :confused: I have to reboot the PB to get it to come back.

I have heard that 2.4ghz phones will mess with the wireless, and it does seem to happen when I'm in the area of the house where we seem to pick up a neighbor's phone, but I'm still confused. None of the other devices in he house using my graphite basestation show this kind of behavior.

Will turning on "Connection Robustness" do anything for me? Switching channels? any other ideas?

5. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

Finally caved and called AppleCare (I've got 80-odd days left, so why not?). They had me do most of the stuff I've already done - like reseat the airport extreme card, reset the PRAM, do a reload/restore of Panther (told them I just did a clean install three days ago), asked about firmaware updates, all of that. Finally they said there was nothing else other than sending me a new airport card. I asked if they thought that would work. They said "I hope so". We'll see. I'll post again after I give it a shot.

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

under system preferences/network, what is your location set to? i had mine on "automatic" for a while and had a lot of problems getting my airport card to connect after the computer woke. once i defined a location and set it to that (including telling it what network to connect to, instead of letting it choose automatically) it solved the problem.

although since the 10.3.3 update, it's been slow to reconnect after it wakes again...