Airport card for G3 iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Benito Malito, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Benito Malito macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2005
    Hello I'm a new member here but I've read the site before. My iBook is getting a new hard drive this week. Reading this board helped me a lot with that ordeal.

I also decided to get an airport card. It's a G3 700mhz 640 ram, and I bought it just over 3 years ago. I've read and searched quite a bit, but it seems the best thing to do is bite the bullet, and drop like $150.

Here's one;

Is this the nicest, fastest plug and play solution? Are there alternatives that are signifiantly cheaper and do not require me to wait/bid/snipe etc.?
  2. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I got one new last year at Unitek in Los Angeles for about 79 bucks. Seems high.
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    #3 has them sometimes, as does
  4. Benito Malito thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2005
    Good links guys. Thanks. Unfortunately only lacomputer had them $169 plus tax and shipping. Yikes.

Are there any non-apple backwards compatible options? Like this one for powerbooks?

Best price I found in-stock.

That's where I ended up ordering one from. $136 shipped, and no bidding/sniping/waiting.
  5. moot macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    in the great Asian wonderland
    Wow, that's steep.

I thought I paid a lot -- $96 on ebay.

Is that how much the market price is nowadays :eek:
  6. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    i would've gotten an airport card (ibook g3 600mhz) but i decided to go with two belkin ethernet bridge/access-points, one for my router and one for my ibook. my ibook's display is cracked, so it's basically a mac mini with a keyboard (i use an external flatscreen display), so i went for that option, as my computer is stationary... has usually had the old airport card fairly cheap, not sure about now though....good luck!

EDIT $59 @ powerbook tech:,name-Airport-card,cat-(4).htm
  7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    I have one. If my deal on eBay doesn't go through (I don't think it will), I'll sell you it.
  8. Benito Malito thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2005
    I'd given up on an airport card until I found this site while looking for info to get my iBook's HD repaired.
    But $59 Wow $59. Thanks dude. Far exceeds my expectations. I wish I'd been more patient, but I cancelled my other order, and it was fine.
    BTW that link is out of stock, and the price went up to $65. At least they aren't gouging.
  9. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    these airport card have gone insane in price over the last year i remember looking on ebay and $85 was the highest price in sight now they are way over $120
    i bought one airport card in the marketplace a few months back for $30, wow i guess i got a deal
    just look around there for people selling thiers, you might just come along a bargin and save a lot of money.