AirPort card in MacBook C2D connection problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scott523, Nov 17, 2006.

1. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    St Charles, MO
    Hi, this my current situation about my connection problems to my university wireless network:

1.) I am connected to 'wireless4owls'. This is Temple University's 802.11b wireless network provided by Verizon. It has a 128bit 26 hex digit WEP encryption and has it's own proxy to the internet.
    2.) I put my MacBook to sleep or by other means to disconnect from the wireless network.
    3.) I wake my MacBook up and usually it would automatically reconnect me to 'wireless4owls' but that doesn't happen.
    4.) I attempt to reconnect manually then an error message appears: "There is an error joining the AirPort network 'wireless4owls'".
    5.) This error persists and I won't be able to reconnect until approximately 1 hour has passed.
    6.) I've talk to the Temple University computer services help staff and the Apple support on the phone. Both were stumped with no solution to this problem. This is after tries to reset the PRAM, check for HD errors, and delete the Preference files related to AirPort, and other basic AirPort troubleshootings.

Notes: My MacBook is, however, able to connect to my home network router (Linksys WRT54G v2.0) that has a 64bit 13 hex digit WEP encryption. I had the CD MB and it had no problems connecting to 'wireless4owls'. Not sure if this helps but I also installed 2GB of RAM myself and I did a fresh install of Mac OS X on a 120GB Seagate HD I bought.

Any suggestions?
  2. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    My first guess would be that the network still thinks your computer is connected during that hour.