Airport Card installation issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heb1228, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Hey guys, I've got a problem here I can't figure out, I was hoping to get some thoughts from you. This is on my friend's iBook, not the computer in my sig.

He got an iBook that didn't have an Airport Express card installed already, so he installed it himself. He says he's never gotten it to work.

I've been working on it and can't seem to figure out why it can't see the wireless network I'm currently connected to. Its a regular Linksys router on default settings, no security or anything.

I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to be working, but there is one thing that seems strange to me... In his network preferences, under the Airport tab, where it asks what network to join, there is no "Automatic" option like there is on mine, the only choice is "A specific network" I can't figure out why "automatic" is not listed as an option... this is the only other symptom of a problem that I can figure out.

BTW, while "A specific network" is selected, I can type in the wireless netowrk name and it still will not join. Any ideas? I'm stumped here.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Open it up and give the card a good thunk into the slot - it takes more push that you might think to get it properly seated. Same with the antennae - you really have to push hard on that to get it secure. And you'll get virtually no response if it's partially out.

3. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I tried reseating it earlier today and plugging the antenna back in. I'll try again but I pushed pretty hard the first time I tried. Any other ideas?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

take it to an Apple store if reseating it doesn't work, that way the Genius will be able to confirm that it is a dead card