Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JarinS1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
My iBook G4 receives a strong wireless signal (i.e., all 4 bars) on my home network, but on my condo complex's network, it only receives 1 bar and feels like dial up. My PC with a Linksys wireless card has a transfer rate of 54Mbps on both networks. I will be cancelling my home network access shortly and do not want to use my PC all of the time.

Does the airport card have poor communication with different networks? Are there firmware updates that may help with this? Any other ways to get a stronger signal?

I really don't want to have to deal with a USB wireless adapter, but is this my only choice to get better reception on the condo complex's network?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Do both networks have the same security settings? Have you tried changing the channel on the condo's wireless network? Are they both the same router? :)

JarinS1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm using a cheap Motorola router for my home network.

The condo complex has some extravagant setup. I think it is a mesh(?) network. It has some large, centralized device with several access points posted about 100 feet away from the device. I am about 20 feet away from the centralized device and 80 from the closest access point. It's pretty intense. The network was set up by a Canadian company by the name of OfficeVault.

How can I change the channel for the condo network?

Thanks for your help.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
How can I change the channel for the condo network?

I believe only the building administrator would be able to change the channels. Try out different places with your iBook and see how the signal strength and speed varies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.