Airport Cards

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexprice, Nov 16, 2005.

1. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2005
    Apple's standard airport cards now cost £300+!!!!!!!!

I cant beleve it, what are all the G3 iBook, G4 Titanium, PMG4, eMac and Slot load iMac owners supposed to do?

D-Link does the DWL-122 which is crap unless you use 10.2.

Apple's website has a belkin card which it says will only work with 15" & 17" TiBooks, that doesn't make any sense to me as there isn't a 17" Titanium.
    Also theres not mention of what OS it will work on.

I once found an iBook with an HP Airport card, however, I cant find them online yet.

Could anybody put me in the right direction about what to do.

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I haven't ordered anything from this vendor nor do I live in the UK but I found an original airport card for you. Otherwise eBay might be a good source.

Best of luck and let us know what you ended up doing.
  3. jbernie macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Define, crap unless you use 10.2. Does the 10.2 OS actually detect the device so you do not require drivers?

I am looking for something for a G3 ibook and like you have found the airport card pricing to be outrageous. US$150 minimum from any resonable reputable store.

There is an aeropad mini but that requires an ethernet cable and a usb cable to power the external device, not a very elegant solution but the only one I know that is actually supposed to work.

I guess no one is really interested in mac wireless because of the airport cards being so common.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Wow...I was going to recommend SmallDog, but their price has gone up too:

Still less than £300, but not anywhere near reasonable. :( I think it's just that it's a part that hasn't been in service in quite a while now.... Perhaps eBay? I see some on there for somewhat less than SmallDog's price. :eek:
  5. calyxman macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    I'm glad I found this thread because I was considering getting the original airport card for my iBook G3. Are there any aftermarket cards that will fit into the airport slot? had some of the originals but they were 149 and they're out of stock. So is PB Fixit.

I don't have an airport base station, but what I'd like to do is purchase a wireless LinkSys Vonage router to replace my existing LinkSys router. Would the old airport be compatible with something like the LinkSys? I think it runs 802.11g while the Airport was 802.11b.

Edit: Affordable Computers offers the airport at $119, 9.95 for ground shipping. That seems kind of pricey. I priced out the aforementioned D-link and it ranges anywhere from $25 to $60.