Airport compatability

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sethypoo, Sep 22, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

The apartment complex I'm living in while attending college is doing this deal with wireless internet, in which we get high speed wifi for $15 a month. It's quite a bargain, considering Cox Communications charges at least $40 for high speed internet.

My problem is this: I have not been able to pick up the signal on my Airport Extreme equipped 12" PowerBook G4. Other Mac users in my area are able to get the signal, but I can't. Yes, I have paid for the service and submitted my Airport Extreme's MAC (IP) address.

I had a guy from the computer shop that set up the network come and take a look at my computer. He tried to "find" the network, but discovered that my Mac had options to receive either a 40-bit or 128-bit signal. He said that the signal the towers/antenna's were broadcasting is in 64-bit protocol.

When I take my laptop to school to get online wirelessly, it works fine. All my Airport software is completely up to date. My Airport is fully functional elsewhere (at school). I own an Airport Express and even with that plugged in I have not been able to pick up a signal.

Needless to say, help!

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

A 40-bit or 128-bit signal? I think he may have been confusing the signal type with the password type. The signal should be standard, especially if other Mac users are also getting on without a hitch.

Are you going to "Other..." under the Airport Network and typing in the ID of the host, or are you relying on your Airport finding it automatically? You might want to try entering the name instead. It may also be beneficial to try it from the "By default join a specific network" from the Airport network preferences.

I'd also make sure that they didn't mess up typing in your MAC address, since that is something that has happened to me before, and is fairly easy to do. Have them confirm it back to you while looking at your Airport ID in the network prefs.

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

The person setting up your laptop is confused. The options for 40bit or 128bit are the WEP key strengths. In actuality, the 40 bit and 64 bit "signals" (as he is calling it) are the same thing. 64 bit WEP includes a 40 bit key and a 24 bit initialization vector (40+24=64bit).

All you need to do is select "Other" from the Airport menu. Select WEP 40/128 bit hex (or ASCII depending on the key). Enter in the Network Name (the SSID of the network) and then the key (again, in HEX or ASCII depending on how its setup.

4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

That's what I was beginning to think I had to do, I'll try it today when I get home.
    I assume the key is the password they gave me.....right?
    Thank you!

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, the key should be the password.

If that still doesn't work, remember to have them check your MAC address to make sure they got it right - the symptoms would be the same.