airport config problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by .a, Aug 6, 2004.

1. .a
    macrumors regular

i have a problem with "set up an airport base station". (airport extreme)
    i get always the same message - even after pressing the reset key 10 seconds, i cannot config it new.

well, i once had a 128 encrytion on this airport basestation. then i disabled it to have a free spot ... this works great. though i now want to have 128 bin encryption again. well, right now i just don't know what to do.
    i turned dhcp off and tried AirPort Admin Utility, though there it won't find the station.

what should i do?
    thanks for your help
    .a

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

varmit

Do have have the password typed in correctly. Connect to it using a wired network to reset everything and the password and retry. The base station seems to be a little messed up at the moment it seems.

3. .a
    thread starter macrumors regular

that is my problem - i can access the station without password (i once made a reset) but now i cannot config a new one.

how do i make a "total-super-reset" ? i just plugged out the powercable and put it in by having pressed the reset button 10 seconds - is there another way to do a reset on an airport extreme?

thanks for your help!
    .a

4. macrumors 603

janey

the super-reset is holding down the reset button for 5 full seconds, while its on. It changes your SSID to `Apple Network xxxxxx`, the base station's (not the network's) password to `public`, et cetera. Basically resets it to factory defaults.

Usually the super-reset is all you need to get it working again.
    I've never encountered that non-Apple base station problem with either one of mine, so I can't really help ya there.

Good luck.

5. .a
    thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! i did that sort of reset, too. though nothing changed ...
    .a

6. macrumors 603

janey

what do you mean nothing changed? like the ssid didnt change? or the problem didnt go away?

7. macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Do a hard reset as suggested. Unplug the unit for 5 minutes as well. Reboot your mac. Plug in base station and reconnect with SET UP ASSISTANT.

I had a similar issue with my APEx unit and I had to reboot and reconfigure in order to get it doing what i needed.

Good luck.