Airport Connectivity

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stan, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Stan macrumors member

Any help would be appreciated....

I am trying to set up an Airport network with a G3 450 iMac, a G4 1Ghz Powerbook, an Airport extreme box and a D-Link DSL Router. I intended to attach the router to Airport, and connect to the Internet via Airport. However, I am having a number of issues at the moment and I am hoping someone here may be able to help.

1. For some reason, the iMac and the Powerbook will not join the same network. "There was an error trying to join....." No clues as to what the error might be.

2. I do not know how to access and set up a link via Airport from one to another ie can I open, control and transfer files and apps on one from another?

Any ideas?!

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Do you have Mac OS X?

1. In the airport tab in the main menu select "other" and type in the network name and password, i do this when i get that same error and that usually does it

2. (This is only needed to be done if 1 doesn't work) If you want to share stuff between the two macs you can setup a computer to computer network by going to the Airport tab in the main menu and selecting "create network"

then with Personal file sharing switced on you should be able to connect them together

3. Stan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. I am using OSX, 10.2.8 on the iMac, 10.3.2 on the Powerbook. I have tried setting up a new network computer to computer but although the two will recognise the airport signal, and sign up to a computer to computer network, one will not join the same one as the other. Whenever I try to connect the second to a network, it just give me that useless error message. No explaination. No clues.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There were a few updates to Airport software and firmware with Panther (10.3)

Maybe the software is a problem then again maybe its not, thats the only thing I can really think of sorry :(

5. Stan thread starter macrumors member

Already tried that I'm afraid. Thanks for your efforts anway, it is appreciated.