Airport cycling - dead or not?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dangerousdave, Nov 28, 2003.

1. dangerousdave macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2003
    I've got a graphite airport which after some year's use appeared to die recently - and now just cycles through red, orange and three red light. Hard restarting does no good and I can't communicate with it even after a full restart using airport admin and changing the ip address to talk directly to it.

I am guessing that this is definately a hardware problem so I'm prepared to scrap it but just had a thought:

I know that deep inside it there is a lucent silverPCM card - is that the componant most likely to have failed - if so, are they still available?

All ideas appreciated

2. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
    I don't think it is the card. It could be but I wouldn't bother to troubleshoot. Just get a used one off ebay and replace it. Sell the power supply or whatever is working :)
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Look up the websites for replacing the capacitors that go bad in the darn things.

The design is purty, but tends to make some of the innards suffer heat stroke.
  4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Call Apple. They are aware of a certain range of serial numbers of graphic base stations that have that problem. They will replace it with a new base station, because apparently it is a known flaw within Apple. I can't remember all the details, but at the time I was having a problem, like you are having know with a graphic base station, and there was a huge thread discussion at the Apple Support pages, that told me about the range of serial numbers. I can remember looking at my serial number and sure enough it was within the range. But that was years ago, literally. Give them a call though.