AirPort doesn't work after PB sleep

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ColoJohnBoy, Sep 8, 2003.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I have a 1 GHz 15" PowerBook running 10.2.6 and connected to Comcast Broadband Cable internet via a snow AirPort Base Station. I recently backed up my information and performed a clean install of OS X. I didn't have this problem before, but now when I open the screen and the computer wakes from sleep, the internet doesn't work. I have to select the icon in the menu bar, turn off AirPort, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. My roommate, who has a 700 MHz 12" iBook also running 10.2.6 doesn't have this problem. Is there a setting I need to change to fix this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... maybe check to see what your setting is in the System Preferences -> Network, then Airport tab. Make sure it's set for either "Join most recently used available network" or "Join a specific network". If you leave it on "Join network with best signal" it won't automatically join IIRC. The first two have places to put a password that the computer can store. Mine is set on "Join most recently..." because I move between a couple wireless networks, but if you only use your own network "Join specific... " is probably your best bet.

Hope this helps.

3. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I just checked the AirPort Admin utility and and network preferences, and cannot figure out how to fix it. It's not that serious, I suppose, just a pain in the butt.

4. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmmm... Yeah, I have AirPort set to join a specific network, and I get great reception all through my apartment, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know. I guess I'll just keep fiddling around with things.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

os 9.0 had some problems with sleep mode and original ibooks and powerbooks

so apple issued os 9.1 to rectifiy this problem which may or may not have happened with os 9

with my ibook which still has os 9, when i wake up from sleep i get kicked off the internet about 20 percent of the time and very infrequently, the ibook will wake up frozen

...but not enough to make me get a new os update

i am used to windows so mac os problems seem very small by comparison