Airport Express + Airport Extreme = TOGETHER?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by island, Mar 16, 2007.

1. island macrumors 6502

island

Is it possible to have the Airport Extreme hooked up to my cable modem, then have that especially for (Ethernet & 802.11n) computers only and then have the Express hooked up for 802.11g and b clients only and still have them work together on the network?

I tried searching with no luck but maybe someone went over this before. I am interested in doing it to prevent 1 router doing too much work and slowing down and also to keep the N speed to the max.

******* UPDATE **********
    Found answer here... http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4074914&#4074914

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think that should workout fine. You'll have to setup the Airport Express as a WDS connection (which isn't too tough). And then set the Mode to B/G only for the AExpress in the Airport Admin utility.

3. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

Actually, I set it up as the AExt(n) for the main router and then I hooked a ethernet cable from my Airport Express to one of the regular LAN ports on the AExt(n) and set the Express to Bridged mode. Now I have 1 network + 2 routers that I can connect to and they interact with each other flawless.

On a side note, I added in the mix a Linksys Wireless Router with the wireless disabled as a hub to use as extra ethernet ports for my AExt(n). Nice use of left over stuff around the office. I hope this helps someone in the future.

4. Mossman macrumors member

Working for me

I have the old Airport and the new one running dual band, exactly as that thread on the Apple discussions sets out. Then also have two Airport Express running and it all works flawlessly.

V easy to set up too :)

5. junior77 macrumors regular

After setting up a dual band system, Airport Extremen N with wired Express G, I noticed significant lag while gaming on a Mac Pro. I immediately switched back to a single network with much better response.

Unfortunately, I had a hell of time going back to a single network due to SSID conflicts & IP address conflicts.

In the end, I reset all my devices and created a brand new network with new SSID name.

Just wondering if anyone knows why there would be a significant performance loss when running 2 seperate N & G/B networks.