Airport Express Alternatives Needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Peter Griffin, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I use an iBook G4 and would like to go wireless. The AE is above and beyond my budget. All i want is a router that can sign on to the internet without needing to reset every now and then. What router do you use? Any recommendations? Thanks
  2. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    I personally use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Can find it for varying prices in different stores usually between 50-60$US. It does basically everything you would really need it to do. MAC/IP filtering, basic firewall protection, 128bit encryption, 4 port switch, can even get it to wirelessly share dialup with the right settings(if you have a mac w/dialup access and have sharing set to share modem w/ethernet and have the mac assign DHCP instead of the router, though read next paragraph about warning). In regards to resetting it, I haven't had to reset it in, well I can't remember when.

The only problem I have ever experienced with it started just a few months ago, where I can't log into the router for admin access unless I reset the modem, but I am convinced it is because I messed with it to get the dialup sharing to work. But when I had it hooked up for sharing my DSL connection at my old apartment it worked flawlessly for the past few years.

There is even firmware out there so you can install a small OS on the router and have it have even more options and configurations, so its a great router as well if your the type to modify and tamper with hardware. :D Though I have an older version of this router, I have read that the newest version doesn't have as much ram and cant support 3rd party firmware, though Im not 100% sure, there are some people talking about it at
  3. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2005
    We used to connect a lot of our sites at work over DSL....we had around 300 netgear routers, DG834 GT's. The were actually more reliable and more tolerant of lower signal quality than the Cisco routers we tried (837's) so I'd recommend those. The cant stream music though...... :)
  4. briand05 macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    I bought my NETGEAR wireless router at best buy for $30. I haven't had any issues with it in the 3 months I've been using it.
  5. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

then your lucky...

seriously though, most people either love or hate their netgear routers.
  6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
  7. martin1000 macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I have to agree, my Linksys router has been wonderful.