Airport Express and 3rd party wireless network adapter ...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blong, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Blong macrumors member

Hello

I'm getting frustrated. I have a Powermac G5 that I bought in May this year. Unfortunately I did not order the airport card and bluetooth with it. Now I want to set up a wireless network for streaming music to my stereo and wireless broadband.

I bought an Addlogix wireless-g usb network adapter on the recomendation of the shop assistant - I had also seen it on the internet advertised as being very good with Mac OS. Anyway - there's not much in the way of instructions with it and I really don't know how to work it. From what I can tell, it seems to be working.

What I do know is that after using the Airport Setup Assistant (with the Airport Express attached to the powermac via cable) it tells me everything is OK but when I open iTunes, there is no menu for the Airport location.

The thing is that last night, I got it working for a while and had wireless internet access for a while, then not, then back again - frustrating. However, even though I could "see" the Airport location in iTunes, it would simply not connect to it. So after stuffing around a bit more, nothing worked and I gave up.

This morning I did a factory reset on the airport express and set it up again with the Airport setup assistant. No luck, no wireless internet, no airport location in iTunes. Aaaaaaaaaarghhhh!!!!!!

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Are you sure you've told iTunes to look for remote speakers?

Attached Files:

3. Blong thread starter macrumors member

Yep - the button to choose which speakers appeared last night (but not this morning) - so iTunes could "see" the airport express, but just wouldn't connect. This morning after resetting and setting up again, iTunes does not see it. I checked and iTunes is looking for remote speakers for sure.

4. Blong thread starter macrumors member

Mucking around a bit more, I'm sure that the wireless adapter is installed properly and is working - it just doesn't seem to see the airport express base station.

Anyone have any ideas please?

5. Blong thread starter macrumors member

No one can help?

Can it be that this wireless network adapter really doesn't work properly with the Mac, but Mac resellers promote it as being really great?

6. Mortixer macrumors newbie

Mortixer

does the box for the adapter promote mac usage?

7. Blong thread starter macrumors member

Yep - the unit is promoted by some apple resellers as being one of the best alternatives for wireless connection for the mac. On the box it says it's mac os x compatible.

Basically, the wireless adapter is working, but I can't get it to talk to the airport express.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EDIT: sorry...I misread... never mind.

Is it possible that you are having issues with interference, if you are getting intermittent connectivity at all to the network? And is the PM receiving internet access through the wireless connection or otherwise?

9. Blong thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mkrishnan - I only got intermittent wireless internet the first time I tried the thing - remote speakers were visible but would not connect in iTunes.

After resetting the Airport Express station and re-running the airport assistant and setting up the wireless adapter again I'm getting no internet and remote speakers do not show up at all in iTunes.

According to the wireless set up controls, I have an adequate signal strength.

I can connect to the internet when connected to the modem by cable.