Airport express and Speedtouch ASDL modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bss1ik, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bss1ik macrumors newbie

Have just bought an airport express to use as a router so that I can run my G4 Powerbook wirelessly via my Speedtouch ASDL modem that was provided with my BT broadband. However, there is no option to connect the modem to the Airport Express via an RJ45 ethernet cable. Have tried connecting my iMac (which is connected via USB to the modem) to the airport express via the RJ45 cable. The airport express has a green light and my G4 says it is connected to an wireless signal, but safari will not load pages. Am I missing something here or do you have to have an ADSL ethernet modem for this configuration to work?

Thanks
    Ian

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes - ethernet is much better and reduces the risk that an OS update will wreck your USB modem drivers.

In the meantime, if both Macs have a airport card, you could share your network from the iMac by using the 'Create Network' command in the Airport menu.

3. bss1ik thread starter macrumors newbie

The iMac does not have an airport card so this is not an option. Any recommendations on an ethernet ASDL modem that is OSX 10.3 compatible?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Any ethernet modem that uses web-browser-based configuration (ie all of them) will work on 10.3

USB ADSL modems should be outlawed - horrible, dodgy things they are, handed out by telcos who don't want you to use your internet the way you want to despite the fact that you pay for it.

5. bss1ik thread starter macrumors newbie

If I get an ethernet modem can I connect it to my iMac (which does not have an airport card) as well as to my airport express? Or will I need to get an airport card for my iMac too?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Get an ADSL modem router which has more than one ethernet port on the LAN side. Then you can plug the Airport Express into one and the iMac into another.

To be honest, if you can take the Airport Express back (ie you don't plan on using it for wireless printing or AirTunes) then you'd be as well doing so and just buying a wireless ADSL modem/router.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you get an ethernet ADSL modem with a built-in router you'll have about 4 ethernet outputs. You can plug one of them into the iMac and another one into the Airport Express.

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Trash the squashed frog (not sure if they still look like that - the one I was sent by my ISP did). I tried to sell mine on eBay. You can't. That should tell you something about it...

David

9. bss1ik thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems a waste now that I have bought the Airport Express! Can an ethernet output from an ASDL modem be split (is there such a thing as an RJ45 splitter?). This way, one could go to the airport express and the other to my iMac.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

11. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Might be an idea to switch internet provider. Most of them give you a nice wireless modem/router for free with an additional discount the first year for switching. Might cost you nothing that way.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Like I said, get an ADSL modem with a built-in router. You'll have four ethernet outputs from the router, one goes to your iMac, the other to your Airport Express and you'll have two spare in case you get more computers.