AirPort Express and WDS

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bostonwhaler1, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have two AirPort Express base stations set up at home. One for routing and one for WDS. What I'm wondering is whether or not I can somehow plug in another computer to the ethernet port on the WDS base station in order to connect it to the net without an AirPort card.

Any insight into whether or not this is possible?

Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

This might be possible. I seem to remember reading something about it.

Your terminology is a bit off btw, for WDS, you need more than one AirPort Express (and/or Extreme). Did you mean the second is set up for AirTunes?

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

You should be able to bridge from the WDS connection to the wired ethernet port on the Airport Express, but it may take some tweaking to get all the machines (esp on either side of the wired/wireless bridging AExp) on the same subnet (for Rendezvous stuff).

It may be a bit frustrating to get it all done, but it should work just fine. I have a similar setup at my house.

4. bostonwhaler1 thread starter macrumors member

I think my terminology is correct... I have 2 Express base stations, one connecting to the WAN/routing/DHCP serving, and the other picking up the wiress signal and rebroadcasting. That second base station is acting as a WDS, is it not?

I want to connect a computer through the WAN port of the WDS base station and am wonderinng if this is possible.

Please do tell me if my terminology is incorrect.

Anywhere you know of that I might be able to read up on how to do this? Can't seem to find anything.

Thanks guys.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Have you tried looking at the advanced settings for in the Airport Admin util? That's all you really need. As for a step-by-step guide, I'm sure I could write something up if I had the time.

If you're having too much trouble, I can post the config for my Airport Express, which is functioning as an extention of my Linksys router's WLAN.

6. bostonwhaler1 thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks Chris.