Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Hi all,

I have two AirPort Express base stations set up at home. One for routing and one for WDS. What I'm wondering is whether or not I can somehow plug in another computer to the ethernet port on the WDS base station in order to connect it to the net without an AirPort card.

Any insight into whether or not this is possible?

Thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This might be possible. I seem to remember reading something about it.

Your terminology is a bit off btw, for WDS, you need more than one AirPort Express (and/or Extreme). Did you mean the second is set up for AirTunes?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
You should be able to bridge from the WDS connection to the wired ethernet port on the Airport Express, but it may take some tweaking to get all the machines (esp on either side of the wired/wireless bridging AExp) on the same subnet (for Rendezvous stuff).

It may be a bit frustrating to get it all done, but it should work just fine. I have a similar setup at my house.

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Your terminology is a bit off btw, for WDS, you need more than one AirPort Express (and/or Extreme). Did you mean the second is set up for AirTunes?

I think my terminology is correct... I have 2 Express base stations, one connecting to the WAN/routing/DHCP serving, and the other picking up the wiress signal and rebroadcasting. That second base station is acting as a WDS, is it not?

I want to connect a computer through the WAN port of the WDS base station and am wonderinng if this is possible.

Please do tell me if my terminology is incorrect.

You should be able to bridge from the WDS connection to the wired ethernet port on the Airport Express, but it may take some tweaking to get all the machines (esp on either side of the wired/wireless bridging AExp) on the same subnet (for Rendezvous stuff).

Anywhere you know of that I might be able to read up on how to do this? Can't seem to find anything.

Thanks guys.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
bostonwhaler1 said:
Anywhere you know of that I might be able to read up on how to do this? Can't seem to find anything.

Thanks guys.
Have you tried looking at the advanced settings for in the Airport Admin util? That's all you really need. As for a step-by-step guide, I'm sure I could write something up if I had the time.

If you're having too much trouble, I can post the config for my Airport Express, which is functioning as an extention of my Linksys router's WLAN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.