Airport Express as a Wireless Bridge?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tommy Wasabi, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

I've got an Airport Express and a Linksys Router/AP and it works great for streaming audio etc..

Question: My Airport Express has an ethernet port on it. Can I connect a computer that has no Wi-Fi to it and access the internet via that ethernet port?

thx.

2. Tommy Wasabi thread starter macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

Anyone??

Normally everyone is so helpful. Maybe with all the noise regarding iTV and the new iPods - you guys missed this.

Please help.

Regards,

3. -am macrumors newbie

hey, i've used my airport express WDS'd with my extreme as a bridge for my ps2 and it worked great. i have no experience using it with a pc.

4. bendejo macrumors newbie

I don't believe you can. My understanding (and past experience when I tried the same thing) was that the ethernet port is just for the incoming modem line but it could not be used to turn the Express into a "hub" to branch a non-wireless component off of the express. Of course, my attempts were with hooking up my XBOX so I have no idea if there is a work around for a PC.

5. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

You can do this as long as your Linksys is WDS enabled...here's a page that details the setup.

Link

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yep, I have done that. I have my PM hooked up to a router and that hooked up to the Airport Express, and have a PB. I can take the router out of the setup and still everything works (do need to reconfigure the AE then!). Also I can print wireless through the AE from my PB to my printer which is hooked up on to the router. Also I can play AirTunes from my PM through the ethernetcables/router. So you can do everything with your AE, but you just have to configure it correctly (answer the questions when you set it up!).