Airport Express as repeater for D-Link Router

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by imac abuser, Dec 23, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I have an Apple Express that I have in the room where my powerbook is. I have it set up to do wireless printing. For my internet connection I have a D-Link Router in the other part of the house. My connection is ok, but I would like to use the Airport Express to increase the strength on the wireless signal. Any tips?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Guest

caveman_uk

My understanding was that Airport Express only acts as a WDS relay (extends a network) for an Airport extreme base station and not other, third-party, base stations. I might be wrong but that was my understanding

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I don't thinkn so, because when your in the admin utlity it asks if it's for a airport basestation, or not. And my printer works in conjunction with the dlink and airport express. So I think it will work :) just have to find somebody that has it set up that way.

4. Guest

caveman_uk

From http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108040

So there you have it. Airport Express can join a third-party access point network as a client and offer it's printing facilities but it can only be a WDS access point (ie extend a network) on Airport Extreme networks

5. macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Actually... it depends. It is only advertised as being able to be a WDS access point for other Apple-branded routers, but people have gotten it to work with other brands. From my understanding, it can be done with Linksys and many other routers, but nobody has managed with D-link. I have a d-link router so I haven't looked into it too much, but I'm sure that someone else can provide a link to instructions on how to attempt to set it up. It can be done, just maybe not with d-link.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

the wireless printing part is working great just have to lock down the extended signal router......

7. dav
    macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

. . . seems like Inderjeet Singh (October 12, 2004) may have copied off Ryan Schwartz (September 5, 2004).

Maybe you can take those instructions as guidelines and adapt them to your D-Link.