Airport Express Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by duncandeath, Jan 8, 2006.

1. duncandeath macrumors member

duncandeath

Hello, my base station stops working maybe once or twice a week, to fix it i have to unplug it and plug it back in again.

The base station still shows up but you just carn't get onto the network till it is reset.

Any ideas?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I had this problem from day one. I bought a new cable modem about 8 months ago and my problem was solved. Perhaps it's your modem of whatever type of service you have. I spent the money on a Linksys, better quality, and haven't lost signal since that time.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

make sure you have all the updates applied to your basestation.
    you can also try different channels and see if that helps. restrict it to only B or G network (if you are only using one or the other) and you can turn on interference robustness as well and see if that helps.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have a similar problem as you described, however I have troubleshooted the problem down to my PowerBook (12"/1.33Ghz). It seems that every time I sleep the PowerBook it will reconnect to the Extreme upon wake, but I can't use the Internet. I end up having to reset the Extreme or restart my PowerBook. It's very annoying. However, it does not happen with my iBook or PC notebook.

Do you have DSL or Cable Modem? The latest two Apple firmware updates for AirPort Extreme and Express are not compatible with certain modems that use PPoE to connect (most notably those from SBC). If you perform the firmware update to 5.7 (Extreme) and 6.3 (Express), make sure you have firmware 5.5.1 (Extreme) and 6.1.1 (Express) available in case your modem is not compatible.

5. duncandeath thread starter macrumors member

duncandeath

cheers i will try these suggestions. I use a Netgear DSL modem/router.

The airport is ok when my computer wakes sometimes it goes when im surfing, not often but sometimes.

Im upto date with the updates and im on 10.3.9 if that makes a difference. My girlfriend usese Tiger and it kicks her off at the same time.

6. Zim Bargo macrumors member

I've got a Netgear DSL modem too, hooked up to the Basestation and I've been getting the same kind of problems. Not necessarily once a week, but enough to be really irritating.

It also seems quite slow compared to when I join my office network or the network at my parents place (and my broadband pipe is twice as big as theirs)

Maybe I need to look at getting a new router?!