Airport Express - Bizarre Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nick_barnes, Aug 2, 2005.

1. nick_barnes macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2005
    Just purchased and installed an AirPort Express for use with a new G5 running Tiger. Ran the AirPort Express Setup Assistant, which successfully configured for use with my DSL connection, and appeared to detect my USB printer fine (HP OfficeJet 5500). Used the AirPort setup software already on my G5, given that the CD informed me that "a newer version is already installed on your Mac".

I am having no trouble at all connecting wirelessly to the internet, either from the G5 or from a separate PC laptop. AirPort status in the upper right of my screen shows that I am connected to my AirPort Express with excellent signal strength. However, printer (which shows up as connected with Bonjour) does not accept any jobs and iTunes is not set up for Airtunes use.

However, AirPort Admin Utility is totally unable to find the AirPort Express, and Setup Assistant locates it, but says it is unable to communicate with it.

Can't find this issue anywhere on Apple Support or any forums.

Am I crazy? Any ideas?
  2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    download the airport management tools from the apple website. they allow to monitor the airport. if they find the airport express then it's likely a software issue. if they can't find it it maybe a hardware thing.

did you set up a closed network? because then you have to type in the exact name and password to allow the programs access to the airport. maybe something is wrong there?

3. nick_barnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2005

I updated Airport software to v4.2 and firmware to 6.2.0, which resolved part of the issue (admin utility now finds airport, Airtunes works). However, the printing issue remains the same. Printer (hp officejet 5510) appears to be detected, but all jobs stop.