airport express - blinking yellow light?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davekr, Jan 5, 2006.

1. davekr macrumors member

1st post, so please be kind...

I am relatively new to mac, 6 months or so....

I have a 15" PB that is running tiger, I travel w/this machine regularly.

I use an airport express one the road to hook up to wired internet connections in hotel rooms etc, and set up the express in about 6 minutes w/security and am very pleased.

however, christmas took me to germany, and in the hotel I was staying there was an ethernet plug in room, so I cabled it to the airport express and all I got was the "blinking yellow light!"

my powerbook could communicate with the airport express, but the express could not make an internet connection?

unhooking the express and cabling directly to the powerbook did make an internet connection?

I thought there might be a problem w/the airport express, but returning to the states and a trusted hotel here, it hooked up just fine, made a connection straight away.

I again returned to this german hotel, and again got the flashing yellow light?

I have searched the konwledge base, but all I found were references to reseting the express after this type of problem?

any ideas?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

As you've already noted, it blinks yellow when no IP has been given to the AEx. Most likely is that either you had to pay for a live connection or their network was simply down.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

How is your Airport Express set up? (All from AirPort Admin Utility)

Under AirPort -> AirPort Network -> Wireless Mode is it set to Create a Wireless Network or Join an Existing Wireless Network?

Under Internet: Do you connect using Ethernet and Configure Using DHCP?

Under Network: Have you unchecked Distribute IP address (so it just functions as a bridge and your PB should get IP from the wired network, as it does when directly connected)?

5. davekr thread starter macrumors member

as I mentioned above, plugging the ethernet cable directly into the power book made a connection, so both of your reasons don't help with an answer.

6. davekr thread starter macrumors member

yes, on the first visit to this hotel, I did both a soft & then a hard reset.

the airport works with every other connection I have tried, just not in this hotel, althought each time it doesn't work (in this hotel) I plug the ethernet cable directly into the powerbook & get an internet connection right away?

7. davekr thread starter macrumors member

create a wireless network

yes

no, distribute is unchecked....

again, this airport express is configured as a wireless network, and before and after I tried to use it as such in this german hotel, it performs in other locations?

and before and after unsucessfully trying to set up a wireless network in room, the ethernet cable directly into the powerbook created an internet connection?

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

You will run into a network will they will have setup were the airport express just will not work whatever you do. FYI.