Airport Express (Bonjour?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daveIT, Nov 21, 2006.

1. daveIT macrumors member

I have a mac pro with an Airport card installed. I don't have any wireless in my house at the moment...just my DSL modem connected via Ethernet. If I buy an Airport Express with AirTunes can I use it?

A person at the Apple Store chat said I needed the Airport Extreme Base Station + the Airport Express, but that didn't seem right...I think they were just trying to sell me more or something...

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would have thought so, but don't own one personally.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you looking to continue to use your Mac Pro through the wired connection, or do you want to go wireless?

If you want to go entirely wireless, all you have to do is plug the Ethernet cable from your DSL modem into the AirPort Express and then configure things using the software. Your Mac Pro will then have wireless internet access and you'll be able to use AirTunes.

4. daveIT thread starter macrumors member

I need to continue the wired connection. My stereo is in another room so I can't have the Ethernet and audio cable plugged in at the same time...

I just want to make sure that I can transfer from my Airport Extreme card in the Mac Pro wirelessly to the Airport Express.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I haven't done it personally, but I am almost certain you can use the Airport Express purely for AirTunes (assuming your Mac Pro is not connected to any other wireless network).

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

When I first got my AirPort Express and was still on dial-up, I used it exclusively for AirTunes and it worked fine. I don't remember having any problems with it, and I assume I used AirTunes at the same time I was online via the phone modem. So I assume the Mac would be smart enough to be able handle a wired Ethernet connection and still see the AirPort Express for AirTunes...haven't had that exact setup myself though.

7. paradillon macrumors member

it will work just fine

get one plug it into an outlet near your stereo, then give it a moment power up and on your mac launch the airport setup assistant that is in your utilities folder that is in your apps folder. It will guide you through the set up. You will be able to just have it pump the music from your mac to your stereo.