Airport Express Can do..?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by e²Studios, May 20, 2005.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a Linksys 54g WAP for my wireless currently. I have no ambition th change this, i do however like the feature that i can stream my music to my stereo downstairs. My question is will the Airport Express let me stream music only to my stereo downstairs without interfering with my current wireless network?

Thanks!
    Ed

2. mpw Guest

My understanding is that it’ll appear on your network without any problem and should give you extra signal coverage if your other base station is the other end of your house (or in the garden shed etc)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No problem. I have two bases in my living room happily co-existing. The AirPort Express connected to my ADSL router and HiFi providing both wireless networking for my iBook and AirTunes both my girlfriend's Pismo and the iBook. But, since the Pismo only has a regular AirPort card (802.11b) and not AirPort Extreme card (802.11g) like my iBook I sat up a good old AirPort Base Station for the Pismo. The two bases are not interfering each-other in any way. Just set the Express to chose channel automatically and it will stay clear of whatever channels the other base is using.

4. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I thought it would only bridge with another apple Wireless device? If it extends my range im all for it, i was more concerned that it would interefere with my existing WAP since the Airport Express wont have a internet connection and will only be a music stream from my mini to the stereo.

Then again maybe there is a cheaper solution to this than a $125 Airport Express...

Ed

5. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Can't you use both 802.11g and b with the AirPort Express? I thought so!

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, no problem. But I use my AirPort Express in G only mode, because if you have the B compatibility, you only get B speed for all connected units if only one B is connected since the whole network then downscales to accommodate the slowest "member". And since G is about 5 times faster than B I like to keep my base G only (as long as I have a B base to offer for B users). ;)

One funny thing, though: AirTunes works from a Pismo with a B card, even if the AirPort Express base is set to G only. I guess the the AirTunes protocol isn't based on 802.11b/g at all...

7. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Just a tip, but, rumor has it that new Airport Express's will be coming out soon, maybe at the end of the month...So if you can, wait until then. If not, buy now through iTunes and get 30 free songs.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i never tried a linksys, but to use a range extension feature on the airport express only works on buffalo and apple branded routers. however, you can just set it up as a part of a wired network, and access the airport express through your linksys g, or have two seperate wireless networks.

9. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Aha, that was no good, I was planning to use the AirportExpress with my iMac G5 (802.11g, whenever they may arrive) and my PowerBook G4 867 MHz (802.11b) and my girlfriend's PowerBook G4 667 MHz (802.11b)... :(

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That shouldn't be a problem at all, really... You can of course set the Express to be B/G compatible (which is the default setting), but I just choose not to... I just did this because I had an old B base when I got the Express specifically to use AirTunes with my HiFi... :cool:

And if you only use it for web surfing you shouldn't notice any differences between B and G as most people have internet connections well below the 5.5 mbps you can expect to get from a B base (or G base with any B devices connected).

If you need to transfer large (or extremely many) files between your machines you should have an ethernet-cable you can hook up when you need it. That is MUCH faster, even if you only had G devices.

11. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Will this new Airport express have something like other manufacturer's that claim Pre-n wireless? Like XtremeG, Pre-n, MIMO, and other technologies that promise greater range and speed compared to regular G?