Airport Express Compatibility...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noahsnyc, Aug 23, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Hello -

Just fishing around trying to find out whether or not AE is going to be compatible with various brand-name multi-use devices.

In other words, has anyone managed to hook an AE up with any of those printer/scanner/copier gizmos?

Specific printers are listed on the Apple site, but I'm really wondering about these "mutant" machines...

Thanks

N.

2. macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I highly doubt a multifunction printer that isn't listed on Apple's site would work very well. I could be wrong, but it will definitely be a gamble.

Lee Tom

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, I tried a Brother MFC-3100 (I think) that my parents have on my AEBS and it did work, despite not being on the list. The scanner shows up too, although I have never tried scanning from it. I don't know if it would do anything or not. But I'd tend to agree with LeeTom not to hold your breath. Especially for getting more than printing out of it.

Although, there are some workarounds -- see this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030915050404405

4. macrumors regular

That link looks very promising...

Anyone try that specific hack?

Obviously, if we could get the "thing" to just print it'd be better than nothing.

Any reasons why an Airport Express wouldn't work with the same hack for an Airport Extreme??

Thanks,

N.

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, shouldn't be. It uses the same Airport Base Station Admin Utility or whatever its called, doesn't it?