airport express connection with PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Achilles, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Achilles macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I am the new user of the ibook, just got it yesterday together with the airport express.

I would like to seek for some help here, hope some1 can give me a hand.

I still need to connect my broadband cable to pc, but i dont know how to set up thru airport express to connect both my ibook n pc.

can some1 give me a guide?

cause the cable only can plug to either my desktop or airport express, the thing is I dont hv wifi card in my desktop,what should I do and what I need to buy in order to make both ibook n desktop connect to internet.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Get a wireless PCI-card for your PC. If you've run out of PCI space and/or think the installation is too hard, but have free USB ports (preferably high-speed USB2), get a USB dongle.

Both these should work with any PC and support the latest encryption method, WPA2 and should have no problem connecting to your AirPort Express.

3. Achilles thread starter macrumors newbie

I see.. but I prefer to connect to the pc using the cable, can I connect the cable from modem to pc and airport express as well?

coz I think that it will be faster speed if u connect the cable direct to the pc,rigth?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

In that case you need a router connected to your cable modem (not all cable providers support this) or, if your cable modem has a built-in router (don't know about cable, but my ADSL modem has a built-in router) then you just need to hook it up to a switch (or hub) and connect the PC and Airport Express to that (that's how mine is set up).

Edit: Something like this or this. Disclaimer: These were just the first hits when I browsed and I have no idea if these is any good or if it even will work with the rest of your equipment.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's only one ethernet port on the Express, so no you can't connect both the modem and the PC to it.

You could potentially make the PC share it's internet connection with the Express but I don't recommend it. This would entail having the modem connected to the PC which then connects to the Express through another ethernet cable. Of course, you'd need two ethernet ports on your PC for this to work, plus the PC would have to be always on. :(

Just get a wireless card for the PC, they're cheap. :)

Oh, and most internet connections are slower than 802.11g (54Mbps).

6. Achilles thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, my modem only hv one enthenet port and one usb port, I bought it 1 yr ago.

if this is the case, all i need to do is buy one more hub/routher to extend my cable, so that one cable connect to the pc and one to the airport express, is that all u mean??

btw, I am setting the airport express now, how to control the access right of the wifi connection? cause i try several time, I only manage to restrict to only ibook to connect to the airport express, or I dont put any in the access right, then both my ibook and pda with wifi can connect, but if this is the case, other ppl also can connect without my consent, rigth?

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My ADSL modem also just has one ethernet port, but it still has a built-in router allowing me to connect as many devices to it as I want using a switch or hub. A switch is basically just an intelligent hub.

Many cable modems doesn't have a built in router, and then you have to get that separately. Both the routers I linked to above has 4 built-in ethernet ports eliminating the need for a hub/switch (until you want to connect a fifth device).

So you need to find out what your cable modem will or will not do.

As for Access Control on your AirPort Express: You should be able to add your PDA's MAC address (aka AirPort ID) to the list of allowed devices in AirPort Admin Utility, but you might have to add it manually, finding and then typing in the 12:34:56:78:90:AB address of your PDA yourself.

8. Achilles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think for my case I hv to but a hub in order to make the connection work.

btw, i manage to find mac address from my PDA Model rx3715 HP, but even I already add in the mac address in access contol list but the pda still cant connect to, is it need to set something in pda or admit utility?

9. Achilles thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally, I manage to connect both my desktop pc and ibook by using the model, i think my modem can support multiconnection, my one is atzech DSL600EU come with one ethernet and usb port, I connect the usb to my desktop and the ethernet to airport express at last it works... :)

however, I still cant connect the pda cause if i set security to proctect then the pda are not able to online so at last I still prefer security..so only the ibook can online.....

anyway, thanks for all ur help