Airport Express Dropping Audio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cbonz, Jul 17, 2005.

1. cbonz macrumors newbie

I've had difficulty with this product since the first day I opened it. I'm running a 1gHz iBook with Airport Express. Since I got the iBook, I've only been able to run the wifi in a B mode only. For some reason my netgear wg614 doesn't want to cooperate in a mixed mode or in g only. You think this has something to do with why the audio drops out on the Airport Express? I have to keep the router in B so I can connect to the internet, but my AEx isn't cooperating...

anyone have any suggestions, similar problems, etc?

Thanks

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Setup the Airport Express as the router and try it that way. If your iBook can connect to the APx fine, then i would try resetting your Netgear back to factory settings.

Even in your current setup, you might want to make sure that the APx can get enough signal strength where it is placed. A good way to test this would be to place the iBook down where the APx is and then look at how many bars you get. If it is 2 or below, then that could be the cause of your problem. If you have 3 or 4 bars, I would seriously consider replacing the Netgear (or resetting/upgrading the firmware). Also, check the Netgear support site for known issues with Macs and/or Airport units.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

from his setup it sounds like his netgear is the main router connected to the broadband and his airport express is connected via ethernet. my question is weather or not his wifi is enabled or disabled on his airport express. only one needs to be enabled if his connection is via ethernet to the airport express.

4. cbonz thread starter macrumors newbie

the AEx is set up in client mode, connecting through it's WIFI. I get good signal strength where the AEx is located.

The netgear is the main router connected to the cable modem. Thanks for the help, I'll try those out tonight