Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foreverembraced

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
I am happily awaiting Christmas so I can rip into my new 15" powerbook and I also ordered the Airport Express. Here at home we have our desktop PC connected through Verizon DSL and I have a Lynksys router which I used before to have another desktop PC hooked up to the net (no longer is). I was just wondering if you guys could help me out with now hooking up the airport Exp. to all this to get it all to work, mainly dealing with different things on the computers I will have to turn on/off or adjust (I'm new in the Mac world). Will I also have to install the Verizon DSL software onto my Powerbook for it all to work? Thanks so much for any help :)

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
If you have a linksys wireless router already the airport express should work with it already. You should have no problem just turning on your powerbook after you take it out of the box and it should detect your wireless network automatically. Unless you have some type of Encryption turned on in the linksys router. If you never turned it on though it is off by default and you should just be able to join your netowork automatically. As far as the verizon DSL software everythign should be configured in your router by default provided it is working now. You should not have to install anything further on the mac to get it to work. Good Luck.

Armando

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I would suggest that you might look in to getting a wi-fi card or usb adapter (G series) for the PC. You can also get extra Airport Expresses if you need to extend the range.

I did this with my cable modem, and am happy that I switched. We now have the ability to stream to three different stereos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.